Are all in one PCs worth it? (should I upgrade)

pop80_uk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just looking for some advice and some guidance.

I've currently got a self build PC,
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz
16GB
512 Crucial SSD
Radeon RX550/550
Windows 10

I don't game on the PC and its used solely for internet, working from home, word processing and the odd bit of photo software

I was speaking to some ICT work colleagues recently and they suggested my set up was very old and out of date and I should upgrade to an all in one PC, as they were perfect in terms of specs, space saving etc.
They suggested this one:

Now this is a fairly large investment.

So my questions are to you guys and gals:

1) Is it worth the investment? will the differences be huge?

2) How much life has my current set up got left in it?

3) Are all in one PCs fairly future proof? (in terms of the spec I am looking at)

Thanks in advance :)

What are you expecting your £1000 purchase to allow you to do that your currently cannot or improve that is currently not working as you want ? As you say its a lot of money, are you really so short on space but have plently of money that an all in one is needed as there much more exspenive than a normal PC/ I had a friend who lived on a narrow boat and it an option he considered at one time. He got a laptop in the end - I wouldnt buy one personally as if one bit breaks you lose it all, monitor, computer etc. and there much more costly than they need to be due to the all in one nature.

Also all in ones are not usually upgradable so the opposite of any kind of "future proof" , no change to improve that in a couple of years if you need more power.

I would suggest your colleagues in ICT are not the best source of advise to be honest .

Thank you 👍🏻
You have kind of confirmed what I thought as there is no problem per say with my current set up.
It works and does everything I need it too, yes it’s very old but seems ok still

I was just concerned that this was coming from ICT professionals and didn’t want to compromise safety / security of my current system.

thanks for your advice

Yup, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I can't speak for your business security system compatibility but as it sounds like it was a suggestion made in casual conversation rather than a requirement it's likely you're still fine there.

Generally the all in one PC market aims at specific niches- there's not enough people buying them to make it worth producing lots of combinations of hardware.

They also have a reputation for not being terribly well designed with awkward port placement, little adjustability in screen position and so on.

Their primary attraction is neatness and sleekness, they don't save much space compared with a Mini PC and monitor which would be the main alternative these days.

All in Ones do have laptop parts, they're underpowered Vs same cost desktop

BUT
they are great "all in one media centres" for families. A big 27" touchscreen with all the multi functionality that comes with it make it a hub of sorts that no laptop can compete with.
They are stylish, sleek and do save space.

I believe in certain circumstances they offer a far better experience than a laptop or traditional desktop. You are paying for style and user experience in a neat package.

Yes, agree. I should have said "generally" they tend to use laptop parts, but there are some that use full desktop processors and the like. I imagine this is about cost cutting and packaging concerns, rather than trying to save energy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom