Are all image sizes the same?

Stereo Steve

Ex Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a PTAE100 off Oblivion (very pleased with the deal, thanks mate) with the intention of setting it up as a permanent fixture in my living room. The PJ will be hidden up in the Oak beams on a small platform about 230cm from the screen. This would appear to give me the required 6' image from a little experimenting.

I'm worried that if I decide to upgrade in the future that another model will give a bigger or smaller image at the same distance. I'm aware that the 100 is not a top of the range PJ but it'll do for a while.

So, do they vary widely or are they all roughly the same? Or, can you get different lenses or something?

They do vary quite significantly. It is possible to get longer or shorter throw lenses, but they can be quite expenseive.

I think it also depends on the projector you have as to whether one is available or not.

As Bursar says, different projectors can have long or short throw lenses, so when you upgrade, you'll have to look at the manufacturers info regarding screen sizes and throw.

You may find as I did, that with the zoom lenses, provided they're the same type, i.e short throw, they'll be able to sit within a few inches of each other.

Gary.

So is a 6' wide (horizontal, not diagonal) 16:9 image about standard from, say, 2.4 metres? Is the PTAE100 similar to most others or does it have a bigger or smaller image?

It's just that the PJ position will be a pretty permanent fixture and I don't want to have to get a bigger screen if I change the PJ.

CHeers

Just make sure you upgrade to another Panny on your golden. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom