1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all HD LCD's 1080i ???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jul 2, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys (again) :)

I now understand High Definition gives you 720p and 1080i picture, but do all LCD panels do both or do only some give a 1080i image?
    The reason I ask, if I connect a compatible equipment such as an Xbox, could I output the image at 1080i instead of 720p?

While its in my mind too, theres one thing I need to clarify with DVI and HDMI. If a set has an HDMI socket but no DVI, is it still possible to connect a DVI to HDMI cable from my PC DVI socket to the HDMI socket and still have a crisp picture like I would from DVI-to-DVI? (obviously the cable wont carry audio but thats no problem)

Thanks once again guys, Mark.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Quite a few LCD's handle 1080i, but I can count the number of LCD's with 1080 line displays using a few fingers on my hand. LCD's are normally 1280x768 or 1366x768 but there are exceptions. Whilst these are not 720p displays either, from what I have seen, they display 720p better than 1080i. Displays that take 1080p input are currently as rare as rocking horse poo, even those with 1080 line display, althought some people have had success with some variants but nothing guaranteed. With the launch of the PS3, 1080p may become a little more common.

-Ian

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, most of the current LCDs have 768 lines. You'll be able to watch 1080i, but you won't be able to see all of the detail present in the video signal.

4. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see, so the difference between 1280x768 and 1366x768 dosent mean 720p or 1080i, is 1280x768 a true 16:9 aspect ratio or are they both 16:9 but one just has a higher pixel count than the other? What made me wonder was seeing an LG flat panel in PC World today. model L2323T. Its 23" and has an external audio/visual box with the connections for component, DVI etc and a single cable that links the screen to the box. Printed above the component sockets it states 480 - 720 - 1080. That made me think all LCD panels with component could do 1080.

Additionally, does my DVI-to-HDMI theory work?

Mark.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The first number before the X is the horizontal resolution. You're right when you say there's an aspect ratio difference. 1280x is a 15:9 panel (which means slightly cropped edges of picture, slightly stretched picture - ugh - or ideally, tiny black strips at the top and bottom of the screen). 1366x768 is true 16:9.

Most/almost all LCD panels with Component will be able to resolve a 1080i video feed but as I said, won't show you all there is to see. It's not unreasonable to think you'd see all the detail - but that's not how stuff works in the world of fixed pixel displays (ie flat panels) sadly.

Your HDMI theory:
    Exactly right - no drop in quality at all. HDMI is basically just a redesigned DVI connector with more features. Some sets have Analog audio connectors (White and Red sockets) beside the HDMI connector for the purpose of using DVI equipment while retaining sound (Samsung LE32R41B has this).

6. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Funnily enough, I have been looking at a Samsung panel from Currys (LE26R51BD) on their website for £799, havent been able to find a huge amount of reviews - or spec info for that matter, ie, is it a true 1366x768? - on this set, can you shed any light Lyris? I'm popping out to a Currys tomorrow to see it for myself but my budget really is maxed out at the £800 pound mark, besides the Samsung LE26R51BD which has HDMI / DVI for my PC and Component inputs, is there any alternatives in this price range?

Mark.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    From memory, yes it is 1366x768. I had the 32" version of a similar model and it wasn't my cup of tea (no backlight adjust) but there's a huuuge thread dedicated to it and there are lots of people very happy with it.

I'm not too sure about alternatives. I think many manufacturers are bringing out new sets soon and these should have fairly versatile connections.