Are all Emitters and transmitters the same? If so, how do I distribute?

Mr Bimmer

Standard Member
I have two remote location TV's which take their 4 sources from the living room via a 4 CYP way switch.

One is linked through a CYP HDbaseT extender with ir pass through, while the other is linked via an HDConnectivity 4 way splitter with ir pass through.

The Cyp unit came with an emitter and one ir transmitter (wand?)

The HDconnectivity uses an HDMI dongle that injects ir into HDMI which is then taken out to an ir transmitter from the 4 way splitter ir pass through socket.

Both manufacturers are using the same 3.5mm plugs, so can I assume that both types of emitters/transmitters are compatible with each other?

As it stands, I am left with two manufacturers wands available to give signal to 4 devices in the living room. Sky+ Hd, Apple TV, Panny Blue ray, and a CYP-EL-41-AT switch.

How can I distribute the ir signal to all 4 sources from 2 wands?

I am not interested in using a universal remote or magic eye. I want to use original remotes with the most responsive method of ir control at each TV.

I have noted that SKY+ boxes are very difficult to align with some transmitter wands. Are there any that are better than others for Sky? (I find the magic eye very unresponsive) I would prefer the little stick on buds over ir sensor if possible

Would something like these work?

Cabled IR Solutions

IR CONTROL 8 : IRCON8

:lease:

Last edited:

mikelj

Both manufacturers are using the same 3.5mm plugs, so can I assume that both types of emitters/transmitters are compatible with each other?

Ok, I'm no expert on this, but from what I understand, IR emitters tend to use mono type 3.5mm plugs. A mono plug has a single plastic band that isolates the IR signal from the ground. Now, I'm not sure that there is an industry standard, so the tip of the plug could be the IR signal, or the ground; or vice-versa.

IR receivers use a stereotype 3.5mm plug (two plastic bands) due to the fact that an additional signal is required to power the receiver. You certainly don't want to be mixing up the IR signal and power in this instance!

So you see, just because the same type of plug (mono or stereo) is used, it doesn't guarantee compatibility. You could always cut into a cable and test it yourself, or seek advice from the maunfacturer regarding the pin wiring.

I assume though, that you are solely interested in emitters? I don't think that you'll break anything if the emitters are wired differently, it just wont work.

I believe you can split the signal going to an emitter up to four ways (after that the signal is just too weak). But from what I understand, you effectively have two sources of IR control that you need to combine into the same four pieces of equipment? There are probably IR distribution systems available to achieve this, but I'm wondering whether a quick rough-n-ready solution is to obtain two 3.5mm mono leads to plug into the CYP HDbaseT extender and HDconnectivity, cut the other end off each of these cables and wire into a choc block. Use a four way emitter and cut the plug end off and wire this into the choc block. Providing you wire ground to ground and IR signal to IR signal, I think this would work.

Last edited:

Mr Bimmer

Standard Member
Ok, I'm no expert on this, but from what I understand, IR emitters tend to use mono type 3.5mm plugs. A mono plug has a single plastic band that isolates the IR signal from the ground. Now, I'm not sure that there is an industry standard, so the tip of the plug could be the IR signal, or the ground; or vice-versa.

IR receivers use a stereotype 3.5mm plug (two plastic bands) due to the fact that an additional signal is required to power the receiver. You certainly don't want to be mixing up the IR signal and power in this instance!

Thanks. Sorry I should have been clearer. I realise the emitter are completely different and I would never attempt to mix them up.

I was just wondering whether the output from each ir pass through was the same. Is all ir the same irrespective of manufacturer? or does it have some kind of unique signal for each manufacturer?

The Keene stuff that I linked to looks like what I need, but I need some advice before jumping in.

logiciel

The manufacturers of what - the extender systems, or the devices that are being controlled?

Mr Bimmer

Standard Member
The manufacturers of what - the extender systems, or the devices that are being controlled?

What I am trying to find out is, are all ir emitters and transmitters the same?

ie, can an HDconnectivity emitter be used with a a CYP transmitter? If they are, different, then how do I distrubute both transmitter outputs from their respective sockets to four devices?

mikelj

What I am trying to find out is, are all ir emitters and transmitters the same?

ie, can an HDconnectivity emitter be used with a a CYP transmitter? If they are, different, then how do I distrubute both transmitter outputs from their respective sockets to four devices?

I assume that the emitters are simply carrying the IR codes from the original equipment - why would either of those manufacturers re-invent the wheel? An emitter is simply flashing at at rate determine by the IR codes - an emitter will work with any IR codes provided that it is wired up correctly.

I pretty sure what stated earlier would work - you just need to know which wire carries the IR signal and which wire is the ground.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I assume that the emitters are simply carrying the IR codes from the original equipment - why would either of those manufacturers re-invent the wheel? An emitter is simply flashing at at rate determine by the IR codes - an emitter will work with any IR codes provided that it is wired up correctly.

I pretty sure what stated earlier would work - you just need to know which wire carries the IR signal and which wire is the ground.

They are diodes so require the correct voltage to work while they can be interchanged it isnt gaurenteed to work as there is no standard. But 12 months sinc eoriginal post so

Did it work?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom