1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all amps the same ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Richard Moore, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of a contentious question this but here goes. If you're looking for an AV amp in the £350- £500 range do they really vary that much. Two assumptions here,

1) The AV specs are broadly similar i.e they do the mainstream digital surrround modes , you can hook up the usual inputs and get the usual outputs. OK some of the more esoteric or proprietary stuff is missing e.g full church sound on a 1930's recording of steam train.

2) They're not made by some jobbing farmer in Taiwan

3) They're not pig ugly and designed by the Binatone designer on a bad day.

Talking of two - why was it that the launch of DVD saw a whole section of the AV geek market go downmarket in such a fashion ? The way people are buying DVD players, originally PS and now DVI from companies that they have never heard of and know will either look awful or will fall apart in a few months is something of departure for the more the discerning buyer. A friend in the US has just spent >$7K on a PJ in the US and matched it with a $150 player. OK it's the Bravo but an amusing turn of events all the same. OK - I know it's all down to PQ but this never happened as I recall with CD.

<FX:Disengage rambe mode>