• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Are all 65" 4K HDR TV's crap?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I am looking for a 65" 4K HDR capable TV.

So far I am on my 3rd Sony KD659005C from Richer Sounds.

1st had 3 dead pixels some light bleed

2nd terrible light bleed and awful clouding

3rd bad light bleed, vertical banding and DSE

It doesn't seem to matter what make or model I look at on these forums its the same story. They all have light bleed, clouding, vertical banding or something else wrong.

What is going on?
Is there no such thing as a decent 65" 4K TV that is HDR ready?

I am absolutely gobsmacked.

Should have stuck with my Panasonic GT plasma!!

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
think its any led tv to be honest.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
You could try the Hisense t910 65" for £1950 Rich, they are just becoming available but has hdr and 2.2. Can't say how good they are yet as only 2-3 users are getting theirs this week although Steve Withers is getting one in for a review in a week or two.

It has had a French review that did praise it up but the first user on here posted yesterday and he said it was good with most stuff other than footie. I do think though that he has not set it up right and this tv will need some tweaking to get the best from it.

At it's price it's worth a shot even if only as a set to get you by till next spring when new models will be coming out and at the price you won't take much of a hit. It is a curve model though.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could try the Hisense t910 65" for £1950 Rich, they are just becoming available but has hdr and 2.2. Can't say how good they are yet as only 2-3 users are getting theirs this week although Steve Withers is getting one in for a review in a week or two.

It has had a French review that did praise it up but the first user on here posted yesterday and he said it was good with most stuff other than footie. I do think though that he has not set it up right and this tv will need some tweaking to get the best from it.

At it's price it's worth a shot even if only as a set to get you by till next spring when new models will be coming out and at the price you won't take much of a hit. It is a curve model though.
Hi Keith,

Hope you are well.

Yes I did read that review. Curve is a no go for me.

I'm gobsmacked at how bad these TV's are. 4K looks excellent through Netflix but the rest is just......

I would like to give the LG OLED a go but the flat panel is ridiculously expensive.

I could live with the light bleed on this particular set but I can't get past the vertical banding on pans.
I've found Peppa Pig to be the worst and trust me it's on a lot in ur house.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1448262150.132277.jpg

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Rich

I am well thank you and hope you and your family are too pal.

I am also looking at getting a 65" and preferably a flatpanel, trouble is my budget is limited to £2k thereabouts and I do like the OLED blacks but not their prices as a 4k with hdr & 2.2 is a must.

You would think that at £2k they could crack most of the issues but it seems a slow progress, at least they are starting to come down to realistic levels now as this size was well north of £4k a year back.

At least at around £2k if they can get the basics right you can be a little forgiving of some less important features.

jaxione

Hi Keith,

Hope you are well.

I'm gobsmacked at how bad these TV's are. 4K looks excellent through Netflix but the rest is just......

I would like to give the LG OLED a go but the flat panel is ridiculously expensive.

I could live with the light bleed on this particular set but I can't get past the vertical banding on pans.

Hi!

I am in the same spot but having troubles finding a tolerable 55inch screen.

Have gone through:

2 x Panasonic 55CX680B - Both went back for banding and severe dirty screen
1x Samsung 65JU7005 - Went back for severe banding

Now im returning my Samsung 55inch JS8005 for banding. I cant stand it......Watch a lot of football and hockey and im feeling sick everytime I see the banding. It seems to be impossible to find a TV without it.......Don't know what the next step is......Either try another JS8005 as many say the are very banding free or just buy a cheap used tv for now and wait for the manufacturers to get their sh*t together and stop making faulty tvs.

Br J

deon444

Distinguished Member
Not heard many good things about the OLED's either.

What other than being the best tv's on the market,no clouding no dse, 2 things you have moaned about are non existent on Oleds.

Great reviews from all the top sites Inc avf,reference status. Beat the zt65 easily in a shootout yet you claim there are not many good things about oled. Oleds are not perfect but better than anything else on the market.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
oled bad points vigneting at edges, minor banding just above black, input lag to slow for seriuos gamers, some have a green tint from extreme angles. still far from problem free, but those blacks are :D

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What other than being the best tv's on the market,no clouding no dse, 2 things you have moaned about are non existent on Oleds.

Great reviews from all the top sites Inc avf,reference status. Beat the zt65 easily in a shootout yet you claim there are not many good things about oled. Oleds are not perfect but better than anything else on the market.
I think in going to give an OLED a go.
My concerns is the 65" isn't available as a flat panel for the price of the curved,which I think will look awful wall mounted.

I've read issues about banding and yellow tints on whites.

It's not a moan. It's unacceptable issues with a screen especially at £2.5k.

DannyBoy73

I've got 55 4k flat LG OLED (55EF950V) and am amazed how good it is. Haven't seen any of the problems above and can't recommend it highly enough.

That said I've only been using it for normal viewing and game playing. Alot of the chat in the owners thread is about examining slides for the slightest issues.

Think there were some yellow branding issues with earlier models, what I haven't seen the complaint in the thread for awhile, mine didn't have any issues.

GadgetObsessed

I completely sympathise with this.
I bought Rich's 50GT60. When I came round he showed me his new Sony 65".

Knowing what a panel lottery each TV purchase seems to be - the dead pixels I maybe could have lived with - they were only really noticeable close up. However, the light bleed in the bottom left was really sharply defined and I would not have been able to put up with that. Looks like that problem may be common with these sets.

As far as other options are concerned...
In the Hisense thread the first user is reporting vertical banding and says that affects his football viewing. In my own experience of LCDs with vertical banding - changing the settings does not solve these kinds of uniformity issues. I wouldn't even expect a professional calibration to make a difference to vertical banding on football either. (Though it will improve the set in other respects.)

I have got to say though that now I have set it up for my viewing - the picture quality on my GT60 is superb and extremely uniform. (I ran some grey and colour slides to check.) Plus motion is great. Absolutely no problems panning during football. Although the PQ didn't make up for watching West Ham lose yesterday. :-(

After hearing all the complaints about banding, dark edges and colour tints on the LG EF950 OLED in the owners thread I took a set of slides on a USB stick to test the EF950 in my local Currys and found no problems - although the banding and dark edges probably do not show up well in bright light. At least there are some owners saying they are happy with their sets - but you are looking at £3,600 for the 65".

samsungderby

LED tv's are fine as long as you buy the top of the range FALD models, edge led is a flawed concept imho.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
I think its a horrible time to be buying a TV.

OLEDS do have some small issues, the vignetting and just above black issues probably wouldn't be too bad but the yellow bands would really irk me.

LED's, I have looked at them, they are not for me especially the poor viewing angles. This is why I bought my ZT65 a couple of years ago, its not perfect but at £2400 it was the best display at the time.

If I had to buy now I would probably stump up the cash for a flat OLED and hope to win the panel lottery.

If I didn't have to buy now I would definitely be looking in a year or two when all of the standards are sorted, I hear HDMI 2.1 is out soon whatever that is along with the different HDR technologies. I believe the LG 950 OLED wont do Dolby Vision HDR (I could be wrong on this).
Plus the OLED technology would have matured a bit and hopefully Panasonic and Sony will release some affordable sets.

1080 jawbreaker

edge lit and HDR is gonna look nasty, more light, more bleed

Daytrader

Hi Keith,

Hope you are well.

View attachment 648799
That banding looks horizontal to me.

eiren

Distinguished Member
Having successfully managed to get most of my family to buy OLED screens (not got one myself yet though) - I can safely say that those are the way to go.

Four separate screens that I've calibrated now and they are stunning. I have a ZT65 and they blow that away.

Going to upgrade sometime soon :)

jaxione

Having successfully managed to get most of my family to buy OLED screens (not got one myself yet though) - I can safely say that those are the way to go.

Four separate screens that I've calibrated now and they are stunning. I have a ZT65 and they blow that away.

Going to upgrade sometime soon :)

How about the banding on dark scenes? Is that not visible on normal viewing?

eiren

Distinguished Member
How about the banding on dark scenes? Is that not visible on normal viewing?

Not at all - much the same as the AVForums reviews on the OLED televisions. It's the best picture I've seen on a television yet.

GadgetObsessed

I have ordered the Samsung UE65JS9500 as the ones I have seen look good. The LG OLED is not HDR or upgradeable except for the 950 @£4K.
Was the Samsung 65JS9500 much less than the LG 65EF950 - which you can get for £3,600?
You can get it from Currys or probably Sevenoaks Sound and Vision too. (They quoted me the same price as Currys for the 55".) According to an LG rep in John Lewis, Richer Sounds sell the 55ef9500 too.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I have ordered the Samsung UE65JS9500 as the ones I have seen look good. The LG OLED is not HDR or upgradeable except for the 950 @£4K.
So 2 days ago your reason for not looking at the hisense xt910 was that it was curved and then you go and buy a less well spec'd curved TV and presumably paid at least £1000 more for the privilege..any reason why you plumped for the JS9500 rather than the XT910?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Was the Samsung 65JS9500 much less than the LG 65EF950 - which you can get for £3,600?
You can get it from Currys or probably Sevenoaks Sound and Vision too. (They quoted me the same price as Currys for the 55".) According to an LG rep in John Lewis, Richer Sounds sell the 55ef9500 too.
Richer Sounds don't do the LGEF950

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
So 2 days ago your reason for not looking at the hisense xt910 was that it was curved and then you go and buy a less well spec'd curved TV and presumably paid at least £1000 more for the privilege..any reason why you plumped for the JS9500 rather than the XT910?
The hisense I looked at had banding and I didn't like the look of it.

The Samsung looks much nicer in the flesh and has far better reviews.
I don't have it yet as not in stock. Eta Jan. I am not committed to it.

Curved is a risk but you never know I may well warm to it.

It's for my dem room that is also a sitting room. Picture quality is very important.

If the LGEF950 is stocked by RS and available I will look at it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom