Are all 3DS games text based?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by ABCDEFGHI, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ABCDEFGHI

ABCDEFGHI
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So I decided to actually play one of my 3ds games rather than merely just collecting them. Given the reviews I thought I would try fire emblem. The first thing that hits me with this game is that everything is text based. You see a picture and then have to read the god dam text. Whilst this was common with earlier consoles, it is now 2014. The 3ds should be able to cope with things the PS1 could do. I would like to see a motion video in between fights describing the story rather than lame sprites making grunting noises.

Likewise with Zelda etc

Everything just feels low quality and just retro. Makes me want to not play the thing.

Dont know why these cartridges hold their value so well.

Maybe Im just having a bad day.

2. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    No. Some of the games hire real actors to come to your house and perform the cut-scenes right in front of you.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    You have limited memory on carts and I'd prefer them to use it for the actual game, rather than cut scenes and voice acting.

4. ABCDEFGHI

ABCDEFGHI
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes ultimately gameplay is the most important thing. Just surprising how we happily settle for this sub par standard in this day and age especially given how 3ds games on average are the most expensive. As a collector they are the most frustrating format. They should all sell used for around £5. I hate offering £25 for things like bravely default and getting turned down when it shouldnt even be worth £25.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I don't agree personally. The 3ds has had some of the best games released on any platform over the past year or so. Fantastic console with some great games :). Sometimes I wonder why I've paid £40 for games on the other systems however (despite loads of voice acting and cut scenes).

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,886
    Shouldn't a collector be buying sealed copies (& keeping them sealed)? ;)

7. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I like the written dialogue, It means i can play with the volume quite low (therefore the wife can watch tv in peace). I downloaded the demo of LEGo Mavel Super Hero game and it has voice acting!

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    jrpgs always have a lot of reading, and if I got hold of Bravely Default and Zelda for a fiver each it'd be the bargain of the year easy.

£25 for a second hand game is atrocious in my eyes though I must admit. I expect a second hand game to be at least half price, no matter the age, otherwise I might as well buy new. £10-15 is about the max I think they should sell for second hand.

FMV's and voice acting some games still have, although limited. Bravely has a fair few fmv's in there, and the fmv for the summons are pretty good. It's about the best jrpg I have played since FFVII, which is saying a lot for me.
    Fire Emblem I'm not so far into yet, but I am enjoying it a lot. It's reminding me of Front Mission 3 in terms of story evolving, and fight's similar to that and might and magic.

The 3DS is capable of quite a lot, and I do think they can fit a lot more on the cartridges, but a few games I have downloaded via the eshop and ate up a 4gb memory card in no time. If there was too much information the 32gb card I bought would probably start to fill quickly too.

Nintendo seem to almost always get it right, and it's the handheld of choice for jrpgs for me, classics and current alike.

I guess they just know what has worked and what we have liked in the past, so took the 'if it's not broke don't fix it' approach regarding jrpgs :)

tris

9. AnimalOfAnarchy

AnimalOfAnarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There are only three games I own that are text-based and they are Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies (which is one of the best games on the system in my opinion) and Pokemon X. The others that I own have their own cutscenes and voice-actors and all that but as someone has said on here, gameplay and playability is the most important thing.

If you like cutscenes and stuff, the best game I've seen for that at the moment is Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. As for graphics, I was really impressed with Super Street Fighter IV. It literally looks like the console versions. Same goes for Dead or Alive: Dimensions as well.