Question Are AKG K712 better for mixing / mastering than Beyerdynamics DT880?

Infusion

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I've almost set my decision on AKG K712 but I want to make sure and ask on this forum as well. I've had my eyes on BD DT880 for a long time, but then I discovered AKG K712.
I'll use the headphones to mix gothic rock / alternative rock. Headphones are unfortunately my only way to mix, since my place is absolutely horrible for monitors, so I need as accurate headphones as possible.

Would you say that AKG K712 are better headphones than BeyerDynamics DT880 when both properly amped?

I do have the K712 Pro but no experience with the DT880. I also just use mine for home listening.

A few of the guys on another forum I'm a member of have been speaking quite positively about Sonarworks 3 which might be of interest to you. Essentially they've measured the frequency response curve of a number of headphones and designed custom profiles for each that flatten the sound in order to make them more accurate for studio use.

The amount of headphones supported is relatively limited at present but it looks like they have profiles for both of the headphones you're considering. It's not exactly cheap but there is a 30 day trial that would allow you to assess its usefulness.

I briefly tried this software with using the K712 profile but felt my headphones became a bit boring and lacking in musicality. However, from a monitoring point of view perhaps that means they are more accurate and less 'coloured'?

Overview - Sonarworks

That's a cool plugin, yeah it might make headphones a bit boring since it makes them sound flat, but that kind of headphones is the best if you are in mixing world. I guess you really hear songs for what they are :) Will definitely take a look into that plugin.

Having a ruler flat headphone response is not desirable as they will sound 'wrong' especially in the treble and nothing like some accurate near field monitors. The spikes that you often see in headphone measurements in the treble around 6-10khz are by design to better mirror how our ears hear ('phones are measured very close from inside a head dummy giving effectively wrong measurements).

Better explanation here:

Evaluating Headphones

HB

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom