Question Are absorber pads worth while?

johnnymaelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
When I got new active speakers (M-Audio BX5s) I also got some absorption pads to place under the speakers. The pads are too deep for the speakers so I'm thinking of cutting to size.

Are these pads worth while? (My speakers sit on a desk)
Can you see any downside to cutting the pads to size?

What pads?

There are pad made of high density foam, and many have a slight slope cut into them to point the speaker up at the user.

The down side to cutting the foam is that you cut it precisely to the existing speakers, but when you buy new speakers, they no longer fit.

If you cut them, cut them to make them usable in your space, not all the way down so they are a prefect fit to the existing speakers. That is, if you cut them, cut them to fit the available space, not specifically the speakers; though in your case, that may be the same thing. I speculate because I don't have a good sense of the available space nor why the pads, as is, are not working for you.

Steve/bluewizard

On a desk? Doesn't sound ideal!
But you've got the speakers, desk and pads, right? Just try them (without trimming)! Or am I missing something?!

So you opted for the M-Audio BX5's? A well-reviewed speaker and apparently great value and the 5" driver should give bass that a miniature would miss out on.

Some form of decoupling between speaker and desk is usually beneficial to audio quality but, as BlueWizard says, you haven't told us exactly what these pads are and they vary considerably in their construction. Ones I've seen had a thick metal plate incorporated within in the dense foam - try cutting that with a craft knife! But if they are constructed from just dense foam then there's no downside in trimming them to size (unless you wish to use them with a different speaker).

There are plenty of cheap DIY alternatives to 'proper' studio monitor isolation pads that, IME, work just as well such as stick-on rubber feet, squash balls cut in half etc.

What pads?

There are pad made of high density foam, and many have a slight slope cut into them to point the speaker up at the user.

The down side to cutting the foam is that you cut it precisely to the existing speakers, but when you buy new speakers, they no longer fit.

If you cut them, cut them to make them usable in your space, not all the way down so they are a prefect fit to the existing speakers. That is, if you cut them, cut them to fit the available space, not specifically the speakers; though in your case, that may be the same thing. I speculate because I don't have a good sense of the available space nor why the pads, as is, are not working for you.

Steve/bluewizard
I have Adam Hall Spad Eco 1 isolation pads. They appear to be thick foam, no idea about a metal plate yet.

The placement of the speakers is on a shelf that is part of my desk. It's not a deep shelf and the pads are much deeper than the speakers and the shelf so I wanted to cut them to fit the depth. I didn't want to do this if it affected the audio properties of the pads. I didn't think this would be a problem, but wanted to check because often there's something I've not thought about in the world of audio.

On a desk? Doesn't sound ideal!
But you've got the speakers, desk and pads, right? Just try them (without trimming)! Or am I missing something?!
As dogfonos mentioned my speaker choice there's a whole topic discussing purchasing these speakers for listening at work, not my main system.

I probably will try them, but was looking for advice on whether pads are useful and not just getting me to part with money and if they are useful would cutting them alter any beneficial effects.

It about understanding the problem the pads are trying to solve.

Cutting them is presumably just to make them look neat. The absorption is to isolate the speakers from the desk and prevent any nasty resonances. Personally I find spikes better. However, I'm clearly struggling to understand the scenario here! ;-)

Cutting them is presumably just to make them look neat. The absorption is to isolate the speakers from the desk and prevent any nasty resonances. Personally I find spikes better. However, I'm clearly struggling to understand the scenario here! ;-)

Yes there is about 20cm pad hanging out the back if I align them with the front of the speakers. I want to cut them to size to remove that overhang, partly because it's unsightly and partly because they won't fit because the desk is against a wall and the speaker will be pushed forward by the excess pad if I don't do that.

Thanks for adding to the information about why people use pads, it sounds the same as I expected. I use spikes for my floorstanders in my main hifi room. The trouble with spokes is that this is a lovely wooden desk in my office and I don't want to sink spikes in to the desk.

Go to a plumbing place and buy a length of pipe insulation. Different sizes available so easy to get what you may need.
Cut with sharp knife . Job done . Works fine and costs less than £5 !

A slight over-hang is not a problem. I also don't think cutting them down will hurt the performance.

I assume this is the PAD -

SPADECO1 Adam Hall Stands PAD ECO Series - Monitor Isolation Pad

Dimensions (W x D x H): 170 x 300 x 40 mm (6.7" x 11.8" x 1.6")

Costing about €18.

Also 20 cm or 20mm over-hang?

Steve/bluewizard
That's the type. My pads are 30 cm deep and the speakers are 19.5 cm deep so roughly 11.5 cm overhang, my estimates were way off. The shelf they are placed on is barely 20cm deep and the only 10cm from the wall so not much space.

Can you confirm that the price was about €20?

If you need to cut them, cut them. You paid for them, they are yours to do with as you please.

Just make an attempt at nice clean straight cuts. I've cut a variety of foam just using a sharp kitchen knife. But unless you have some type of guide, hard to get a straight clean cut.

Steve/bluewizard

Can you confirm that the price was about €20?

If you need to cut them, cut them. You paid for them, they are yours to do with as you please.

Just make an attempt at nice clean straight cuts. I've cut a variety of foam just using a sharp kitchen knife. But unless you have some type of guide, hard to get a straight clean cut.

Steve/bluewizard
Yes they were £12.99 so in the same region.

Thanks for the help. I now know the reason for pads is the same as with spikes and stands for my stand mount speakers and that cutting them won't change the effect they have.

I've got some good sharp knives and a cutting board so will make a nice cut, I'm loving these speakers and hopefully this will improve things further.

This topic seems answered to me. Do I mark it as answered? Sorry for the newbie question, but I couldn't see a link.

the question that doesn't seem to be asked is what do the speakers sound like without the pads ?
is there an audible difference with or without ?
is the difference with for the better ?

I've not been able to test them yet after all the discussion. I have found the desk to resonate occasionally so will test on Monday with my new DAC to work out the benefit or not of the pads.

the question that doesn't seem to be asked is what do the speakers sound like without the pads ?
is there an audible difference with or without ?
is the difference with for the better ?

There are two differences upon testing:

1. The desktop no longer vibrates with bass at low to moderate volumes, which is did before.
2. I feel less fatigued after a listen from bass.

In conclusion I think these pads are worthwhile and do offer some benefit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom