Are 80 watts x 6 enough???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cookiedds, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm debating between the Yamaha RX-V1200 (HTR-5490) and RX-V2200 receivers and wonder if the 1200's power will be enogh to drive my speakers adequately. My room is 16'x23'x8'. My speaker set up:
    Paradigm Studio 60 fronts
    Studio CC center front
    Studio ADP surrounds
    Studio CC back center
    PW-2200 Subwoofer
    Feature wise they are very similar, 20watts less power and a cheaper remote with the 1200. Would the 2200 be worth the price difference in performance?

2. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A note to add to my earlier post is that I am currently running the 60's, CC and ADP's with a H/K AVR 20II which has 50 watts going to the front mains, 30 watts to the CC and only 15 watts feeding the ADP's and it sounds quite good at a loudness I have no desire to exceed. The speakers are rather sensitive, 90 and 91db ratings, and don't seem to gain much when feeding them more power. I've tried the 60's with a 100 x 2 watt mofset Denon amp and a 90 watt Denon PMA730 and they only go a little louder but don't display a real improvment at regular listening levels. The control and base response seem the same regardless of amplification. We don't listen to our DVDs at extremely loud levels so it isn't that important to be able to push them to their max levels. Finally, this system is for home theater only, we have a second system of seperates for our music listening. I am considering the Yamaha RX-V1200 for it's dolby digital, dts-es and Prologic II capabilities as well as it's 80 watts per chanel. Hope this helps to clairify what I'm seeking advice for. Thanks for you comments and suggestions.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, generally 80 Watts is enough - provided it's quality amplification.

However note that most AV Receivers cannot provide the power to all 5/6/7 (whichever applies) channels simultaneously due to limitations of the power supply. In 2-channel mode or each channel on it's own no problem, but not when all channels are driven at the same time; though then again this is rarely required and you obviously don't want it too loud anyway.

Given the speaker ratings I would think you are fine but best is of course to arrange for a home demo.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plenty. Difference between 80 and a 100 Watts is not even a notch on a volume control. Remember you need ten times the Watts to get twice the percieved loudness, for a given input.

Mike.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I agree with Flimber, on the volume front, and also with Reiner. Your Paradigm speakers really deserve the best amplification you can afford. My Paradigm reference fronts responded much more favourably to the Denon A10SE, and Harman/Kardon 5000 than a Yamaha AX2 (RXV3000 in the US/Canada?). A better quality amp should give a more full, and effortless, sound. Perhaps this is what you need?

Russell

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi all,

I just like to second (third?) what has been said, power ratings for equipment are next to meaningless in fact I think they are meaningless. Harmon amps have a very poor rated power output for the cost compared to other amps but when you hear them it’s a different story and as you have sensitive speakers anyway either Yamaha is more than enough. The question is should you buy Yamaha at all.:)

7. Cookiedds

Cookiedds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as the last post is concerned, do you have another suggestion for a receiver with dts-es, dolby prologic II and 6 channels of amplification for under $900.00? I have compared the Denon 2802 & 3802, Onkyo 787 & 797 and Yamaha Rx-V1200 & 2200 and prefer the sound of the Yamaha over the Denons or Onkyos. They all are solid receivers but I like the Yamaha sound best so far. Any other suggestions?

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Cookiedds

Try the Harmon amps; they have a full range, or the Marantz and Rotel amps sound good as well. You have to decide what your tastes are, do you lean towards hi-octane crash bang movie biased sound or like me to a more refined music, dialog favoured sound. I personally find that Yamaha up to the current range (which I have not heard so will not judge) has for me been a bit to treble oriented crash bang type sound. I like an amp with enough grip to stop an 18 wheeler.:D

One last thing I am assuming a price point of about £700 to your $900.

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If you like the sound of Yamaha amps, then you must like a more AV orientated sound. The Denons, of which I have the 4800 equivalent, are more relaxed and not as visceral as the Yamaha's. So, along these lines, perhaps the more competent (ES class) Sony amps, or the better (Elite) range of Pioneer amps. We don't have the Elite range in the UK, but regards the standard range, Pioneer tend to be less powerful than their specs suggest, so a more careful home-dem may be needed. Pioneer do make very cinematic sounding amps, though, so they may suit.

Russell

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The HK rep is for plenty of current reserve for peaks in sound. In other words, they've got plenty of muscle in the short term to give a quality sound. Watts and sensitivity are only part of the story.

Look at any good power amp from any manufacturer, and a current supply will also be stated.

But it still doesn't mean it'll sound any good.:rolleyes: