1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are 24" widescreens built aswell as the equivalent 28" version?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Oldbean, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Oldbean

Oldbean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the 24" version of widescreen TVs is built to the same standard as the equivalent 28" version?

I was told that the 24" version is very unreliable compared to the 28" version, they cant handle the power and the 28 versions last due to being massed produced.

Im after a 24" due to the space and the viewing distance but dont want it to pack up in a year. Is there any truth in what i have been told?

Thanks.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I suppose it would depend on the company. My Philips 24PW6006C certainly performs and is built as well as the larger versions. It doesn't ship with the same stand and some of the buttons are in a slightly different place but otherwise it's not compromised at all. :)

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    It really depends who makes it. That end of the market is completely driven by price and many manufacturers buy in sets from cheaper overseas producers. If that's the case then it probably won't be built to the same standards as the larger sets. If the set is actually built by the manufacturer, there may well be some cost cutting but the quality should generally be the same as their larger sets. The smaller screen size does not, in itself, mean lower quality.

The thing about not being able to handle the power is rubbish.

4. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In many cases the chassis is almost identical. Literally a handful of components will change depending on the tube size, but the rest remains the same and should be just as reliable. Or just as unreliable.