Arctis 9, ps5 headphone quality, ps5 headset opinions

jambomakaveli

After getting a ps5 on launch I finally decided for the first time, I was going to buy a really decent headset.

I’d read and heard about steelseries for a while. Wanted the arctis 7p, but couldn’t get them anywhere. Then saw the arctis 9’s. Assumed they would be better. Higher model number, pricier.

I mainly play warzone, and am really disappointed with the sound quality. Whenever there is high sounds like explosions, certain gunfire, the back of the truck opening as your dragged to the gulag... the sound is, well the bestway I can describe it is scratchy, and distorted.

I’ve hooked up to the laptop and tried engine, but it doesn’t seem to do a lot with the different presets, and also doesn’t seem as detailed or as good as the arctis 7/7p settings that are available on engine.

I’ve tried turning the 3d audio off as well, as I understand that’s mainly for ps5 games that use it, but that didn’t really help.

I’m close to returning them and either getting a different brand, or staying away from headphones altogether. This has really put me off.

I have a cheap chat headset that I use for chatting when playing with people.... this headset or a subsequent one is solely for playing on my own, so I don’t need a mic.

has anyone suffered similar poor sound/distortion, and had it relieved with a certain headset they could recommend?

ideally I’d like to be able to have the option to tweak EQ settings, be that hooked up to a laptop, or however else.

I’m not great when it comes to headphones, and don’t have much knowledge, I just always thought steelseries were good.

but to pay £180 and have the sound I do playing warzone, I’m really put off from headphones. Hoping another pair could change my mind.

Lastly, I’m really sorry for the walls of text, just trying to explain everything was all.

Chevyguy86350

Novice Member
I had the arctis wireless 1 i know like half the price but pretty much the same drivers, the bass is definitely lacking when playing a cod game. In steelseries engine did you adjust the sliders not just switching presets?

Attachments

• oiinedv3ljg31.png
    oiinedv3ljg31.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118

jambomakaveli

I had the arctis wireless 1 i know like half the price but pretty much the same drivers, the bass is definitely lacking when playing a cod game. In steelseries engine did you adjust the sliders not just switching presets?

thanks for your help buddy. Really appreciate it.

I’ll defo give those sliders a go today and let you know!
When you say the steelseries lacks bass, is this what causes the distortion and crunchy, scratchy sounds during explosions, hit markers etc?

I assumed the bass being to high caused that? Or are you saying if the bass was better, or if there was more bass, these sounds would actually sound as they should?

Last edited:

Chevyguy86350

Novice Member
Idk they definitely have different sound processing than I'm used to, like they sound really good in the mid to highs but the lows were odd probably better for a competitive stand point.

jambomakaveli

Sorry, like I said I’m useless when it comes to audio...

mid to highs, those being mid, high sounds? Explosions, gunfire?

lows being footsteps etc?

gunfire, explosions, hit markers... those just sound awful.

to pay £180 and feel this bad about is pretty sh*tty.

I genuinely have no clue about the headphone world.
I’m happy to stay at this price point but would just love a pair where the sound wasn’t so distorted.

are you still using steelseries, or have you moved something else?

are you on ps5 yes?

Chevyguy86350

Novice Member
Yes im on ps5, no I switched to turtle beach stealth 700 gen 2. I was looking into getting arctis 7p but I do alot of party chats so I'm hesitant because my arctis had a sidetone delay which was annoying like I speak then there's a pause then I could hear what I said instead of instantly. Lows are your explosions or bass the lowest number on the frequency range usually to the left on an equalizer. They have nice software you might want to open it up mess with the settings and watch a warzone video on YouTube to see if it fits your liking then save so you can use on ps5. Everyone hears differently but the reviews on steelseries are usually very good. Cod has different audio mix in settings too it just takes time to setup to your liking

jambomakaveli

Thanks for all your help m8, really appreciate it.

do you play warzone? With the turtle beaches you’ve switched to, do you get any of this horrible crunchy distortion at all then?

lastly, am I right in saying there is no way to play with the turtle beach settings? What you get is what you get, sorta thing.

EDIT*

im completely wrong.
Turtle beach actually seems to go one better, you can get an app on your phone, hook your model up and then adjust the equaliser etc on your phone, rather than hooking up to pc every few minutes. Lol.

I’m actually looking at sending these back and getting your model. They seem spot on from what I’m reading.

you’d recommend them yes? Lol

Last edited:

Chevyguy86350

Novice Member
Overall pretty solid no weird noises that you speak of in any cod game. Turtle beach uses different software definitely not as good as steelseries engine, I know they're not the best but were easily available and same price as arctis 7p. I'm sure more knowledgeable people on this place could help you out better than me.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I'm on Arctis 9's and they're pretty good.

I gave this feedback in another post.

jambomakaveli

I'm on Arctis 9's and they're pretty good.

I gave this feedback in another post.

I see you’ve posted slider settings in there. I’ll give them a try.

I do really like the build, and the comfort of the headset... and the sound is mostly great, it’s just that my main game is warzone, and that crunchy distorted noise with explosions, shotguns and other stuff, I can’t play like that. And I defo don’t wanna spend £180 specifically for sound like that. Lol.

so hopefully the settings I’ve received in this post will help!

cheers pal.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I’m using 9’s and they’re great straight out of the box. No distortion on any games, I’ve used them with 3D engine on and off too. That probably doesn’t help but maybe you’ve got a faulty set?

shaynemawer

I've also got the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and I really like them. Sound is clean for me and after adjusting the Superhuman hearing, can hear footsteps etc pretty clearly.

BoUnCiNBeN

I’m using turtle beach atlas aero. And tbh really shocked with how good they sound as standard on the ps5. On PS4 there was a low volume bug. Which is now fixed on the ps5. I don’t know of any software I can use to adjust settings. But in fairness I don’t want to anyway. I’ve lost the ability to adjust volume and mic directly on the headset. But can do it through the ps5 quite quickly m. And superhuman hearing works brilliantly now. My cod sessions have actually improved

damo09

I’m looking at the

Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen Wireless PS4, PS5 Headset Black.​

Has anyone tried them?? Any good??

rhodos

I’m using 9’s and they’re great straight out of the box. No distortion on any games, I’ve used them with 3D engine on and off too. That probably doesn’t help but maybe you’ve got a faulty set?
I'm keen as I can only wear the 'ski band' type as I have really sensitive skin - whimp but true, of all the headsets I have only ever found the Arctis 3 the one I can wear.

I like the idea of having a bluetooth also, e.g. for podcasts etc from phone whilst walking - so that leans me towards the 9s rather than the 7x/p.

But are there any downsides of the 9s vs the 7 as far as you know, i.e. I could always use the supplied dongle in my phone to make the 7x/p more portable if the 9s have less function/ability on the PS5.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I'm keen as I can only wear the 'ski band' type as I have really sensitive skin - whimp but true, of all the headsets I have only ever found the Arctis 3 the one I can wear.

I like the idea of having a bluetooth also, e.g. for podcasts etc from phone whilst walking - so that leans me towards the 9s rather than the 7x/p.

But are there any downsides of the 9s vs the 7 as far as you know, i.e. I could always use the supplied dongle in my phone to make the 7x/p more portable if the 9s have less function/ability on the PS5.

I don’t think there is any less functionality. I believe the 9’s and 7’s both use the same drivers so are basically the same except the Bluetooth capabilities of the 9’s.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom