• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Archose Av700 Help Needed

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
well christmas eventually arrived and santa delivered my archose i have connected it up to my sky+ and all is fine recording from the tv etc and also displaying media recorded on my archos on the larger tv

but i cannot seem to record from my dvd player it says detecting video as norm but just stays there i get sound but no pictures abd the image on my normal tv is now b/w ?

and if i scroll through my archos setting and change the source material to black and white i get a picture ?

my dvd player is set to pal and my archos is also set to pal and the source dvd are all region 2 pal

if i connect my dvd player directly to my tv no probs colour picture etc but directly to my archos and it will not detect the source material only sound until i change the archose setting to blk and white?

my connectivity is dvd player into my sky box into my archos and then archos pod to tv as i am aware the archose is a pass through device

any ideas would be appreciated ? :lease:

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
:suicide: does the archos not copy straight from a dvd source do you have to convert them on your pc and then transfer them onto your archos

:lease:

FrankS

I have an AV560 which is the smaller version of yours, is you DVD set to output S video

Have a look in your DVD menu and see if you can change the output settings.

If you are recording from your DVD player then the Archos encodes them to .avi files (MPEG4). DVD files are MPEG2 files so you will need to convert them to MPEG4 files if you want to transfer your DVD's via computer. The later Archos units come with a plug in which will play DVD files directly but not the AV500/700 series I'm afraid.

I use this http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html but there are other programs for doing this, some of them free but not as easy to use.

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
I have an AV560 which is the smaller version of yours, is you DVD set to output S video

Have a look in your DVD menu and see if you can change the output settings.

If you are recording from your DVD player then the Archos encodes them to .avi files (MPEG4). DVD files are MPEG2 files so you will need to convert them to MPEG4 files if you want to transfer your DVD's via computer. The later Archos units come with a plug in which will play DVD files directly but not the AV500/700 series I'm afraid.

I use this http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html but there are other programs for doing this, some of them free but not as easy to use.

NO the output of the dvd player is set to scart which connects the sky/archos/tv all together via the dock supplies with the archos

FrankS

Have you tried connecting directly up to your DVD player rather than after your sky box.

I have a similar set up, using a freeview PVR instead of your Sky box, but instead of having my Archos hooked up between the PVR and TV I've hooked it up to the second scart socket on my DVD, so my PVR plays through my DVD if I want to record off my PVR. This works fine for me. I can't see there being a problem with your docking station as you can record off your Sky box.

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
Have you tried connecting directly up to your DVD player rather than after your sky box.

I have a similar set up, using a freeview PVR instead of your Sky box, but instead of having my Archos hooked up between the PVR and TV I've hooked it up to the second scart socket on my DVD, so my PVR plays through my DVD if I want to record off my PVR. This works fine for me. I can't see there being a problem with your docking station as you can record off your Sky box.

yes connected the dvd player directly to my archos and the problem is still the same no video signal being recieved only sound until i change the source to black and whit and then its fine ! just blk/wht :suicide:

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
Ok there is more than one way to skin a cat i have converted my dvd film to MPEG-4 and transfered the converted film to the archos via the supplied usb cable uning widows media player into the video folder along with my other videos that all work perfectly

so far so good :smashin:

after the syncronisation is finished i look into the video folder and it is not shown as being transfered :eek:

however if i goto my computer open audio device which is av700 open the media file then video file it shows the converted and transfered films sitting there amongst the other films which are WMV,AVI files but when i open the video folder on my archos they are simply not there to even see let alon play ?

i thought archos supported mpeg-4 files or am i mistaken the wmv,avi files work perfectly just these mpeg4 which look to be causing a prob ?

:lease: HELP

FrankS

A .avi file is a MPEG4 file, I encode mine using DivX codec and they play fine. What file extension does your MPEG4 file have when it encoded and what program are you using to convert your DVD's.

As for you DVD output, I think the Archos needs a composite video in, whereas your TV will be happy with composite or RGB, you might want to check your DVD player menu setup and see if you can change the output setting.

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
A .avi file is a MPEG4 file, I encode mine using DivX codec and they play fine. What file extension does your MPEG4 file have when it encoded and what program are you using to convert your DVD's.

As for you DVD output, I think the Archos needs a composite video in, whereas your TV will be happy with composite or RGB, you might want to check your DVD player menu setup and see if you can change the output setting.

Im using IMTOO DVD TO PSP conversion software and the file extension name after conversion is MPEG-4 MOVIE 4,628 KB file name is F--_Title_02.mp4

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
wahoooo i purchased this program ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum v4.0
it took 1 hour to convert a 130 min dvd movie to avi with no chapters etc

and i then transfered it onto the archos and it works perfectly :clap::clap:

i can 100% recommend this program for converting a dvd to any format it even has a archos profile you can choose so it does everything for you :smashin:

thanks for all your help paul

ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum, the most powerful DVD ripping software, can rip DVD to all video/audio files, e.g. rip DVD to MPEG, AVI, WMV, DivX, MP4, H.264 AVC, iPod, PSP, RM, MOV, 3GP, MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, M4A, etc. in the fastest DVD ripping speed and best quality.
No other DVD ripping software supports so comprehensive video/audio formats like ImTOO DVD ripper, which can convert DVD by customizing file size, rip DVD's any segment, select target subtitle/audio track. So easy to use just a few clicks are enough to rip DVD!
The DVD ripper can rip DVD to many video/audio players directly, put DVD movie to PSP, PS3, iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, iRiver PMP, Archos, Creative Zen, mobile phone, etc.

Key Functions
DVD Ripping Software
Convert DVD to MPEG, rip DVD to VCD, AVI, WMV, ASF, VOB, MP4, MOV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, RM, 3GP, XviD, Apple TV video, etc.
DVD Audio Ripping Software
Rip and convert DVD to MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, AC3, M4A, AU, MP2, OGG, etc.
Convert and put DVD movie to Video/Audio Players
Convert DVD to many video and audio players such as iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, PS3, iRiver PMP, Archos, Creative Zen, mobile phone, etc.

FrankS

Glad you've got it sorted, as you note the Archos doesn't play PSP MP4 files, but then again a PSP will not play industry standard MPEG4 files.

PHSSLL13

Standard Member
Glad you've got it sorted, as you note the Archos doesn't play PSP MP4 files, but then again a PSP will not play industry standard MPEG4 files.

yes this is something i have found out over the past week or so i thought wrongly that a mp4 was a mpeg4 :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom