Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

ARCHOS - Who's the daddy!

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by captaindobie, Jan 7, 2005.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  2. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought an AV480 at the end of November. It was a wonderfull machine. It did everything I wanted. After 10 days it went BANG as the hard drive failed. I posted it back to Archos on the 10th of December for an exchange or repair. I have never seen it again. I called Archos three times before I got confirmation that they had received it. Then I was told it is a fourteen day turnaround. Today they have changed there story to, It has to be repaired, then they send it to France so someone else can have a look at it, then they send it back to me. This usually takes at least a month.

I was just about to go mental over the pone, and tell her that as it cost me £480 and only lasted ten day's before it broke. They better bloody send me a new one, and send it now, When she in a slightly more polite way basically said, I haven't got time for this, and I really don't care so call back next week to bother someone else. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    That's absolutely AWFUL. I would write a letter immediately, phone calls are useless.

4. mooncat

mooncat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    repair. what repair. you are entitled by law to a full refund or a brand new unit within 28 days of purchase

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    lovemovies,

Sorry to hear you are having some issues. Unfortunately, it does seem to be a common theme if you are unlucky enough to have a problem with any Archos kit.
    It is probably the most important thing that they still have to address. I hope the issue is resolved soon (for you i mean).

However, i wouldn't let this put anybody off. When working :)blush: ), they really are fantastic little machines.
    (it may be best to buy 3rd party in the UK?)
    The improvements they have made with each succesive release are truly brilliant and as highlighted at the start of this thread this new device sounds great!

Assuming that you purchased the device direct from Archos you may be subject to French retail laws regarding faulty product & exchanges. Unfortunately, i don't know how they differ from us but there may be someone out there that can help...still, it does not excuse them for the hassle they have already caused you.

It is so frustrating that a company, with a truly cutting edge product, appears not to recognise the long term damage to their reputation that poor customer service causes. (not to mention potential sales!!)

6. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm absolutely not going to stop getting on there nerves on Monday untill I get them to agree to send me a new one there and then. I didn't buy it from them, but as far as i'm concerned they have got me to send mine back to them under false pretences.

I bought it from 247electrical. When it failed I phoned them first. They told me that Archos's policy is to deal with failiures etc. Even on new items. Archos told me this was true when I phoned them. That's why I sent it to them.

I'm sure that as long as my replacement is fault free i'll be very happy. As long as it doesn't do the same.

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, in my opinion and having worked in retail for nearly 15 years, this changes things somewhat!

Like you, a year or so back i had a faulty Archos and was given the same 'you have to deal direct with Archos' nonsense even though i had purchased it originally from DABS.com. Having contacted Archos to clarify this they informed me that, NO! it was not their responsibility and i would have to deal directly with the retailer (this made more sense to me)
    Having sent the email i got from Archos to DABS.com they agreed to help me.
    (ended up with a refund hence the reason for an AV420 rather than the original AV340)

If you have paid all that money to 247electrical (and it is a lot of money) i would suggest that they are 'passing the buck' here! They should be helping you, or at the very least, doing all the hard work and chasing Archos on your behalf. After all, it is 247electrical that you have purchased the faulty item from. For them not to deal with this issue directly is quite frankly, SCANDALOUS!

I really do hope this works out for you...

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Price confirmed as £550 (approx)

Shipping late January or early February 2005.

9. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the only drawback I see to this is that it doesn't have the ability to read CF cards directly anymore, and the battery life is less .
    which means I'll have to plump for the av480 and no wifi :(

10. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally got my replacement. I called them on Tuesday as I was in a no signal area all day Monday. When I called They started to give me some more bull****. I just refused to listen and explained I wanted a replacement right now. Two people gave me the IT'S MY FIRST DAY excuse among other stories. The third person I spoke to was sensible enough to just say I HAVE ONE HERE AND IM POSTING IT NOW. He said that I would have it by 3pm Wednesday. It didn't arrive on Wednesday. I waited untill late Thursday to call home and check that it was there. It wasn't so I called Archos and explained all. I got more stories, including IT'S MY FIRST DAY again. Also the person that I had to deal with was not available. I left a number to call back on. No one has called as of yet.

On comming home on Friday I spotted a box in the front garden. It was visable from the street. The parcell service just left it in my front garden instead of posting a slip to say come and get it or please arrange a delivery time.

Finally when I got up today there was a slip from the parcel service with today's post saying that my parcel was located in my garden as no one was in at time of delivery.

If I was criminally minded I would carry on abussing Archos with phone calls saying where the fudge is it. F***ing send me one now before I get others involved.

As it is I will be calling them on Monday to say Thanks for finally posting it. As well as giving them some abuse for not calling back to follow up on Thursdays call. I will also advise them to change their choice of delivery service as they don't seem to have a problem leaving £500 worth of electrical goods in the front garden in view. Taking into consideration that I live in an area that is surrounded by council estates etc.

The parcel service will also get a call as well.

Anyway. Finally I have my replacement, so it's time to finally enjoy it.

11. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  12. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    mathew I think you lost the point here. The archos is a mp3/ movie player with upto 80 gb of storage and doubles up as a video recorder. The ipaq while being a handy addition for outlook contacts etc, only has 135mb capacity.
    Theres no comparison really

13. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the ipaq is a mp3/movie player too :)

microdrive 4gb are available for mail order from the US to the UK for about £80 each.

it'd be a waste to buy a hx4700 just for outlook contacts, there are far cheaper pda's about for that.

i converted some films into 1GB xvid and watched them on my hx4700 on the train with my hp bluetooth wireless headphones.

i agree however, that there is no comparsion :smoke:

the archos looks like a poor pda with a hard drive and video in, seems better to get a hx4700 or equivalent with VGA display ,and get a couple of compact flash micro drives.

can also double for doing sat nav in your car with a dashboard holder and software such as tom tom navigator.

14. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ah well, i'm still sticking with the Archos. It is really designed/marketed as a personal video recorder which is what really interests me. With regard to the PDA functionality being CRAP we won't really know until it's launched. Archos haven't always got it right but i'm optimistic.

Microdrives (4gb) are indeed fine, but you would need to spend £600 to achieve the same storage capacity as the Archos. I like to carry a LOT of movies and music around with me...

15. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For what it's worth I totally agree with captaindobie :thumbsup:

I've got one of the original Archos's (the MMJB20) and can't wait to upgrade.
    My only problem is lack of Gb's !!!

When we go on holiday, I take 150 Albums, 8 movies (for the children) and can store all my photos from my digital camera on it... and I don't have to swap or carry any large storage cards....

It's one of the best things I've bought... :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
    (even the Mrs agrees!!!!) :smoke:

16. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +628
    What? :eek: After spending £550, you'd expect better customer service.....I'll definitely think twice about buying Anything from Archos if that's their attitude :nono:

(I had the same problem with techtronics and a panasonic projector which had a fault out of the box, so I know not to go there...)

17. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My new AV480 has been operating wonderfully. It also has some software that I didn't spot on the first one that failed. MPG4 Translaitor. It's a program that runs with Virtual dub, and it creates DIVX movies that don't suffer from lip sync problems (which I had when using Dr DIVX). You can choose to create a file that will only fill the LCD screen or one that can be output to a TV. Very easy to use also.

Also on a slow day at work I managed to get five and a half hours of movie watching out of it, plus an hour of MP3 play whilst driving home. I think that beats the quoted time in the spec.

18. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Gaffer,

My point was really what a fantastic little device the Archos is. Sure, customer service is very important and i would agree that you need reliable back up should things go wrong. (and yes, it's important to have great customer service when making the purchase etc. so even if nothing does go wrong you still feel valued as a customer!)
    However, like most electrical items, there is only usually a small amount of these devices that develop problems. If you buy through a reputable third party and not Archos direct then you really should have nothing to worry about in the event of any issues.

So, i stand by my previous point...:)

19. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im thinking of buying one but does it disply album art?

20. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you use it with Musicmatch software, then yes. :thumbsup:

21. TomOfArabia

TomOfArabia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use the archos av480, and an ipaq.. both are great for seperate reasons.. ipaq to go to work and listen to tracks when you dont want the huge archos in your pocket...and the archos is great for in the car or at home as it really isnt that durable.

microdrives in an ipaq cane the battery really quickly (less than 2hrs)... i have found a few 1 or 2 GB flash cards are much better for media...a few divX movies and a few hundred mp3s... its a wonder i get any work done at all!

22. Charbax

Charbax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some videos of Archos devices at http://ArchosFans.com - look at the latest video of the Pocket Media Assistant 400 from Paris.. I think it's cool and I'm waiting for my Pma430..