Archos or Not?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by corseford, May 3, 2007.

1. corseford

corseford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently looking to purchase a media player, primarily for viewing on the move but also for playback on TV. Recording from TV not that important. I was almost set on an Archos 404, 504 or 604 until I discovered that I would need the optional docking station to connect to TV, which makes it expensive just for playback.

Can anyone recommend another player that can connect directly to TV via an AV cable, that has good quality picture and plays all media formats. Needs to be portable for train & plane travel.

2. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The optional docking station is only needed for recording, for A/V out it's not required just the lead which goes into the headphones/video out socket. Tried my son's 404 using the cable from my 560 and it worked fine.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
  4. Eraserhead

Eraserhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zen Vision W is another option. No analog recording though, but it is therefore way cheaper. I have M version (smaller) and playback quality thru TV is great.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Eraserhead - Do you know what the battery life is like on the ZVW?

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I can recommend the 604. £170 from dixons tax free in Heathrow. Plays everything I've thrown at it so far. Great screen, good battery life.

As mentioned, you can use any TV cable except the ipod one. So if you have one from your digital camera or camcorder and it has a 3.5mm jack on the end, you can use that.

The big dock is useful to let you easily record, and it gives you better output quality - eg svideo rather than composite.

7. Eraserhead

Eraserhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to website specs it is 13 hrs playback for Audio and 4.5 hrs for video.
    Archos has slightly higher figures, respectively "up to" 16 hours , and "up to" 5 hours. I marked this "up to" because it might in fact mean any figure lower then specified.

OT: what about manufacturers giving us products that work for up to x hours and we pay them up to y $?

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I get peeved with the official stats too, which is why I always try to find out what the battery life is like in real world use!