Archos MMJB to AV400???

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by shoehorn, Dec 6, 2004.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    I have an Archos MMJB20 that is 2.5 years old.
    This has been one of the best things I've ever bought - even the Mrs agees with me on that one... no mean feat, I can tell you!
    Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading it to the AV420 or AV480.
    One question is... will I simply be able to transfer my current movies onto it, or will they all need re-converting?
    I have converted all my DVD's for my MMJB20 and have read that the new 400 series won't let you view ripped DVD's externally - only on it's own screen.
    Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If the files are AVI's then it should be no problem.

I take it you originally ripped to VSO files and then to AVI's right ?

AV400's let you record DVD's direct to the machine, macrovision and copyright let you record once only. Playback on machine is fine but output will then be restricted.

However, if you have ripped via something like DVD Shrink anyway, then that has stripped all protection off it anyway and you will be able to output this material done in this fashion no problem.

I have a AV340 and AV440. These are simply THE most phenomenal products there are.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Just want to add you may wish to re-rip the movies via DVD Ripper into a larger resolution to take advantage of the much larger screen the AV400 offers over your previous model.

The quality of the screen and movie is breathtakingly good, so it's defo worth re-ripping if you have done so at a low resolution.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Great thanks for the reply that I wanted!!!!
    Totally agree - my MMJB20 beats the overhyped iPod - can't wait to get the AV420 or AV480 - just need to decide... they are 2 years ahead of anyone else.....
    any thoughts on which to get?

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Well having an Ipod as well, I must say it's an awesome thing in it's own right.

Out of the 20Gb and 80Gb, depends. 20Gb comes with user replaceable battery option, is smaller, thinner and lighter but the screen is 3.5". The 80Gb is considerably thicker and weightier but has a 3.8" screen and NO user replaceable battery.

The battery things MAY be important since rechargeables do have a finite life. Also with the 20Gb you can always carry a spare just in case you run out of juice whilst on a long flight for example ?

The 20Gb uses a Toshiba 1.8" hard drive and the 40/80Gb uses standard 2.5" hard drives. If the drive was to corrupt I think the 2.5" are more widely & readily available.

However I am not sure how easy both batteries and HDD's are to replace in the new AV400 ? In the AV300 it is relatively easy to do both, which is why they still command a good price for those models !

Thing witht the battery life is, you are never going to have enough, on video 3.5hrs if you're lucky. Having 80Gb becomes a bit pointless in a sense ? Still there is a 40Gb model if you're interested but it's form is the same of the 80Gb.

HTH :)

6. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the AV480 model. I have only had it for about a week. I think it is fantastic. I had a problem with lip sync whilst making Divx movies, so I have just been recording films directly from my DVD player. There is enough space to fit my whole CD collection and most of my favourite films with room to spare. :D

7. Carnage

Carnage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One problem I seem to get is Lip synch. Even the example file within the video file ... (ie Potluck). If you stop it or go into standby ... on resume ... the lip synch is out by a couple of seconds. Do you have any advice to stop this. I made an avi of a dvd I have legally purchased and used Dr Divx and compressed it into Mpeg4/mp3 format as instructed, but althought he viewing is clear as a DVD the lip synch is again a problem. Any advice wuld be greatly appresciated.