ARCHOS - Headphones

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by conington, Jun 26, 2003.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just thought I'd try and get some recommendations from the more MP3 Player experienced amongst you .....

I received my ARCHOS Jukebox Multimedia 20 yesterday and am enjoying it with the exception of the headphones, I am looking to replace them with a less bulky set of a decent standard (preferably with a volume control) ..... any suggestions?

Many Thanks

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hello. I have the same machine. Like you, i was not a fan of the supplied headphones but have found a set of Philips 'in-ear' headphones that are fantastic. SBCHE565 is the model number. They are available from Virgin stores and from WH Smith (there are probably other retailers). They should cost around £13. I love the Archos but they really should supply a remote control for it. The video recorder is now available for this unit (received it earlier this week). I have not had a chance to play around with it yet but if you are at all interested i will let you know how i get on.

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Sennheiser MX500. Unbeatable for < £20 IMHO.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    I agree. MX500's are incredible.
    Just bought some for my portable MD player and they are very smooth, musical, detailed, nice bass etc.
    I have a pair of £250 HD600's and the MX500's are remarkably not disgraced by comparison.

Buy with confidence from Richer Sounds at £20 or the equivelent MX400 (without volume control) for around £14.
    Both mega bargains!

5. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all the responses. I've now finally replaced the Archos headphones and what a difference it makes !!

6. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    What did you get?

7. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got a set up Panasonic phones (bought them before sighting any of the replys to my mail), they make a good difference and do well handling the bass (don't have the model number with me) but on the basis of the great improvement already found I intend to test a few friend's headphones to see if I get do even better.

Just going through the phase of regretting not getting the IPOD 30G (despite being very happy with the ARCHOS, the only drawback currently is the size and weight)

8. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    I've eventually got around to replacing my Archos headphones and it was like the difference between mono and hi-fi.

I heartily recommend Koss Sporta Pro's - stunning sound quality. Lifetime warranty too FWIW.

... oh and they fold really small. I don't like in ear 'phones they have to many issues in relation to ear damage.

9. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063

There will be later this month - it's incorporated into an FM radio extension http://***********/g3jj

Despite being listed under the AV series it does state elsewhere that it is compatible with the MM20, which is good news.

10. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Tenex ..... had a look at the site, for me this is a must have. Couldn't see it available for purchase though, have you any idea on availability dates?

11. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With my ARCHOS Jukebox Mutimedia I bought the photo pack, I'm off on holiday in two weeks and wanted to dump down my photos from my camera should my SD card reach capacity.

Being a bit of a beginner I assumed that the Smartmedia adapter within the photo pack would read from my Secure Digital card that I use for my camera .... doesn't look like it.

Is anyone aware of an adapter that would read from Secure Digital cards directly on to the Jukebox hard disk ?

Many Thanks

12. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    It's been reporting "July" so I assume any day now.

13. MuDDuQ

MuDDuQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Idea:

Ok here is my solution to the archose headphone problem.

I bought a set of sony MDR-EX51Lp phones then I cut the end off of the headphones and then removed the original headphines fron the volume switch in the middle of the phone wire. I then resoldered the new phones into the switch and walla I have my new headphones with vo;ume control included.

If you decide to go this route I advise you to be very carefule and take your time while removing the casing from the volume control. Remember you have all the time in the world dont get in a hurry.

When soldering the small wires dont try to strip the dinky red and blue wires but take your time and tin them with the coating on them and you should be good to go.

THis should work with any brand headphones

Make yourself a schematic type drawing of where the wires go so you dont forget.

If anyone is not solder inclined and wants this mod done email me and I will do it for you if you pay the shipping both ways.

MuDDuQ@insightbb.com

14. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Mudduq

I have absolutely no idea what the headphone problem is (I can barely remember my own posts on this thread after this interval ;) ) but if you want to incorporate a volume control into the(any) headphone lead I bought a small lead with control already in it for ~ 50p (yes honestly) from ARD Electronics back in 2003.

It works with all headphones/equipment that uses the smaller (2.5mm?) phono plug that all headphones have these days, so you can use any 'phones with the additional control. I have a pair of Koss Sportapro that plug into the lead and the lead to the MP3 player/PC etc.

If ARD don't stock it I dare say CPC or Maplin will have one available. Don't think many people will have your level of sodering skil but well done anyway!

HTH

15. yageaki

yageaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Shure E3c's. They are fantastic, sound great, and provide outstanding isolation. I would thoroughly recommend them as I find they were a great addition to my setup..