1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

archos Gmini200

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by kennysatman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi has anyone heard this player, what did you think of the sound? and also is the machine in general any good

2. tcs17_tim

tcs17_tim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Gmini 220 and I am well impressed, except for 5 hour battery life (as opposed to the claimed 10 hours)

3. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just bought the 220 from BT Shop online for £149.99, excellent sound with decent phones. Supplied ones not much cop.

4. tcs17_tim

tcs17_tim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hows your battery life?

I also got mine from BTShop (I note they don't have it in stock anymore so no doubt it will be a problem!) but am now making arrangements to get it replaced after a few emails with Archos. I asked whether 4/5 hours was acceptable and the said they couldnt send me a replacement battery.

Apparently couriers wont take batteries alone. Sounds like rubbish to me! I didnt think the battery could be replaced by the user anyway!

5. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree the battery life is'nt that good, but I find I get about 7 hours per charge. :thumbsdow
    It depends how you set up, I have mine to turn off the screen and backlight after 10 seconds. It also depends how you use it, if you keep searching the hard drive, this also puts a high drain on the battery.
    I think you will find your battery is OK, just try playing your Archos non stop without searching the hard drive, if you hav'nt done so already.
    I think changing the battery yourself maybe difficult, it will also void your guarantee.
    On the whole I think the Gmini is very good, but you really have to change the awful earphones that came with it. I'm using a pair of phones I had with an Aiwa mini disc recorder, and they sound great.
    If you want the FM radio tuner to go with your Gmini, you can get one from www.newmp3technology.net for £16 + about £6 postage. They are in Troy North Carolina, but their service is OK. I ordered mine on Good Friday, and it arrived the following Wednesday, just 5 days later. I also ordered the tuner for my Archos AV380 on Tuesday last, and that arrived yesterday. The price is less than half the UK price. :smashin:
    That's nonsense about carriers not carrying batteries, I had one for my AV380 (easy to change )
    from the company above when I ordered the tuner for the Gmini, so whoever told you that is talking rubbish. Apart from that I've had many NiCad NiMH batteries through the post from various companys.