Archos Gmini XS200 - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by shadowritten, Jul 29, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had one of these briefly earlier this year. Lovely player - not quite as small or bulk-free as the Sony HD5, and with a paltry 10-hr battery - but fairly light and comfortably portable. Trouble was, the software was horribly buggy; wouldn't do a whole heap of things it was meant to, so I sent it back. (As an aside, I posted a poor review of it on a well-known ... mentioning no names ... mp3 player sales site, and this got taken down - twice!! Talk about turning a blind eye to make a quick buck!).

Just wondered what experience other owners have had with the software? :confused:

2. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I've had one of these for a month now and things are going swimmingly! I love the fact it comes with no software and is recognised by my pc as an external drive so i just drag all my music accross without faffing around with software. Its also arguably the most solidly built unit with the buttons and navigation stick feeling reassuringly well built.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No glitches creating/deleting playlists? No problems renaming tracks on the player itself? No difficulty in finding your playlists in Win Explorer?

All happened to me, and I road-tested this baby thoroughly!

Very pleased for you, though - sounds like yours isn't faulty!

4. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Thankfully, no. I have created a number of playlists an have deleted a few and have found them easily whilst the unit is connected to the pc. However I've never needed to rename any music as when I rip my cd's I make sure I'm on the net so it finds all the necessary info. If theres anything that's annoying it's the fact that it can't play drm protected wma files something which I believe has been rectified with the new xs202 model.