Archos AV700 or Portable DVD Player?

rhubarbe

Banned
We'd like somthing to take away on holiday, to a place there is no TV (the apartment not the country ;) ), and I have been doing some research re portable DVD players.

But it means carrying around DVDs. OK, I could burn some backups and take them with me on holiday so I don't risk losing my originals, and I wouldn't take the cases with me, but....

Then I saw these Archos things, and I thought, I can rip my DVDs to DivX or Xvid, and convert some TV series as well and shove them on: I'd get loads on the AV700 100GB model.

Either would have a 7" screen... some portable DVD would even be bigger.

The Archos option is more expensive but lighter to carry.

Anybody been in this position or like to offer any suggestions to help tip me one way or the other?

Thanks for reading. :)

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I had a portable DVD player for a while and replaced it with an AV700, I don't regret it for a minute, the AV700 is a fantastic bit of kit.

I find most of my DVDs ripped and converted to DIVX at about 1.5-2.5gb each looks great, although I'd imagine smaller file sizes would probably look OK too, if I needed to cram more on it. It's certainly so much easier than carrying a load of DVDs around.

rhubarbe

Banned
Thanks for that. My other option would be an UltraLightweight laptop, like a Thinkpad X41 - 1.2Kg all up. No optical drive, but then neither does the AV700. Hmm. Decisions decisions, and each time round the mulberry bush the price racks up...

FrankS

Novice Member
I have an AV560, great piece of kit, ripped movies, TV series and music to it.

Laptop would be a great idea if all you want to do is watch at the apartment, but the Archos would also be great if you are flying as the battery life (6hrs video) is much better than a laptop.

I take my Archos and Laptop when travelling on business but the Archos only when it's leisure.

rhubarbe

Banned
If I were a "Road Warrior" and needed a lightweight laptop for that, or for business travelling then it would be an easier decision, but as it is I am an office-bound hound, albeit my own office, and my laptop is a huge monster. So huge in fact that I can feel it cutting off my circulation as I sit with it now, on my lap.

But then I don't think I'd use an AV700 more than about twice a year (two fortnights).

Another can of worms opened, methinks.

Tomdale

Standard Member
I have had the same scenario in the last few weeks.

At the moment I travel every week but just really want to watch the footie highlights etc for about an hour or two when travelleing. I have set up my PSP to do this job in the last few days and that seems fine.

I rarely take my laptop nowadays and I have a cheap potable 7" DVD player which is ideal. It is very light (lighter than the AV 700) and if it gets damaged on my travels, so what, it only cost £30.

I do like the idea of having a large hard drive but for me personally as soon as the novelty of having an Archos wears off I may feel I have spent alot of money on something that my £30 DVD player does just as well.

If you are only using it for a couple of trips per year it may not be worth spending too much money.

The choice is yours and the Archos is tempting especuially if you like gadgets.

rhubarbe

Banned
I expect that you're right, ultimately. I can see my not getting around to converting my mpeg-2 files to DivX and uploading to the Archos, and that would be a colossal waste of money. Plus you're right about not worrying about a DVD player getting broken or nicked.

I just can't get excited about a portable DVD player.

mrm3

Can the archos not play DVD vob files (backup dvds)? So straight dvd rip and copy onto archos.

Problem with laptop solution is a most portable dvd and archos players have composite and component outputs so when you go on holiday you can us the hotel tv to view stuff. Most laptop pcs are a pain to do this. Usually involves fiddling around with s video (if the hotel tv has it) and then you need the sound inputs too.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Can the archos not play DVD vob files (backup dvds)? So straight dvd rip and copy onto archos.
No, unfortunately :(

I ususally just rip them with DVD Decryptor then convert them to Divz with FairUse Wizard 2, works a treat.

rhubarbe

Banned
Mmm, but I am not going to a hotel with e TV. I'm going to an apartment with no TV, so I need the screen to watch anything.

When we do go to hotels they tend to have full satellite TV anyway.

IMHO, playing ripped DVD via .VOB is a right royal PITA. ISO is the only way to go with that and then you even get full chaptering.

mrm3

Mmm, but I am not going to a hotel with e TV. I'm going to an apartment with no TV, so I need the screen to watch anything.

When we do go to hotels they tend to have full satellite TV anyway.

IMHO, playing ripped DVD via .VOB is a right royal PITA. ISO is the only way to go with that and then you even get full chaptering.
.VOB though is great for MCE (using Cyberlink PowerDVD decoder) plus no conversion means no loss in quality. In fact I cannot see a downside except large amount of disc space and archos does not play it... though I now think archos may with a codec plugin.
I get full chaptering? In fact it plays like a DVD but on the HDD?

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I bought a Archos 560 a while back and love it. I thought about a portable DVD player, but that can't fit in my jacket pocket, nor does it have a ton of music on it, nor can it record from TV.

I love the ability to carry a device with me while travelling that has movies, music and pics on there (backup for SD card on camera!). On our last holiday I loaded about 10 movies on there that we watched when back in the hotel as we connected the Archos to the telly.

But the question is what do you really need? But remember the Archos is a great MP3 player as well as video player, and a great VCR!! I would recommend one if you go down that route.

rhubarbe

Banned
Well, I found a new IBM Lenovo X41 on eBay for £410, so... I am sitting typing this on it right now, which is somthing I couldn't do on an Archos.

It doesn't have a WXGA screen but I'll live with that. They have free wi-fi in Funchal so the X41 will also enable us to keep in touch while we're away.

Thanks to all who contributed. :D

localboy

Standard Member
Bit late - sorry - The 40Gb AV700 is currently £149.90 in Staples stores nationwide.

Happy with mine downside is that WMplayer 11 doesn't like it and the TV recording thing inserts itself into the loop with composh*te leads.

USB as a mass storage device works a treat though

Tony

localboy

Standard Member
Yes it is a clearance item. I wasn't trying to be cocky, just anyone reading this thread may appreciate the news. Cheapest on Froogle was £233

AV700 didn't like being synced with Media player 11 as a windows device but as a mass storage device I have had no trouble watching Divx movies and playing MP3s, its no where near as versatile as a laptop or Pocket PC there don't seem to be hacks available to make it read text files pdfs, or .docs etc

the games are pants and the user interface could be easier

still 149 is not at all bad in my eyes.
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom