ARCHOS AV480 - Brilliant but Totally Unreliable.

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by steveyg20, May 15, 2005.

1. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure if this is the correct section for discussing the AV400 range, but I primarily use it as an mp3 player -

I bought an Archos AV480 back in November - I was after a hard-disk based mp3 player and was seduced by the 60gb IPod Photo, until I saw the Archos - The fact it was only about £60 dearer and yet it had 80gbs of memory and a docking station which allowed for the Archos to be used like Tivo-type device and record TV, I thought it sounded amazing.

I certainly wasn't disapointed when I got the device - Absolutely no copy protection for mp3s and the ability to drag and drop my mp3s directly into the Music Folder on my Archos using Windows. The quality of recordings of the tv were excellent and surpassed our VCR's recording quality - I loved it.

But unfortunately, I am now in the position where i am awaiting my second replacement AV480 - The first one's screen just totally lost it and looked shatttered on the inside, despite no impact from me. Only a couple of weeks ago my replacement Archos failed as music would no longer play on it even after a reformat.

Which brings me to the topic of this thread - I love my Archos, but I have no faith in it and believe it is likely to break at any moment - I always kept the Archos in it's leather case when on the move and treated it with totaly respect - With only a 12 month warrenty on a £500 product, I cant afford to risk keeping this and it is my intention to sell the brand-new sealed replacement (reduced price because of no warranty) when I receive it because it would be just my luck that it works from now until a couple of weeks after my warrenty runs out and then Im left stuck.

Could someone confirm that my warranty runs from when I bought the original product and doesn't restart when I got the new one replaced (that doesn't sound right to me!)

Has anyone else heard that these Archos AV480s are unreliable?

Anyway, I am now reluctantly looking for another Hard Disk Mp3 player - colour screen, album art, great sound, and as many different playmodes as possible a must - Does anyone have any advice on what I should buy?

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Your warranty commences when you purchased the first Archos and does not start again for each subsequent one. If you think about it you are invoking the same warranty each time by getting a replacement for the very first one that you purchased, not for each one that fails.
    Is it time to reject the whole think as of 'unmerchantable quality' and ask for a refund. Depending upon who you bought it from you might get some money back, but I doubt if it will be all as you have had some use from the item.

3. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting - Could anyone elaborate on this......

I bought the Archos from a website called BlokesStuff in November 2004 - My intention is to sell my second brand new replacement from Archos on EBay, because I am concerned that it will fail again and I will be left with nothing. However, the possiblity of getting a refund had not occured to me - I am not entirely sure if this is an option, but could you tell me on what grounds could I push for a refund, given that I bought the Archos 6 months ago. I paid £500 for the AV480, it now retails on BlokesStuff for £430.00, I would happily accept £400 for a refund because I would get considerably less than this for it on Ebay after all expenses etc.

So, on what grounds could I claim a refund is justified, and how would I go about asking for one?

4. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed BlokeStuff's customer support/Product Returns, not sure what sort of response I should expect - Here is what I wrote in the message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing to you regarding my purchase of an Archos AV480 from you on 4th November 2005 for £499.00. I was very pleased with this product when I received it and it fulfilled all my needs for an MP3 Player with Video capabilities;

However, In just over six months, I have had to send back the Archos unit and all its packaging to Archos in Hanover, England and receive a replacement unit on two occasions, my faulty units being sent out on 1st March 2005 and 11th May 2005 respectively. - I am now awaiting shipment of my third machine (second replacement machine).

Since encountering problems I have searched for views about the Archos and have found that a lot of people have found them to be unreliable machines which fail for seemingly no reason even when they are treated with due and proper care. The Archos comes with a Sturdy Leather case, which is on my Archos constantly when out and about - Considering my unit mainly gets used on the commute into and back from work by bus, there is very little potential for it to get bashed around.

While I really do like the unit, I am loathe to keep it now - Archos have been good in that they have replaced the Units with new ones, but given that I paid £499 for it and my warranty is up in November, I do not want to take the risk of it breaking after that time and I will be left without an mp3 player and will have spent £499 to use the machine for a year.

I am in now in the position where I will hopefully receive another brand new sealed Archos unit, and after much deliberation I felt my only choice was to sell it. However, someone informed me that it may be possible to receive a refund on this product from the place of purchase, on the basis of the 'Sale of Goods Act', citing that my Archos item is unlikely to last a reasonable time and be free from defects.

The issue for me is not that I haven't been treated well or had my faulty items replaced, but that since my warranty on the item only lasts a year if the Archos hard-drive fails after 4th November I will no longer be able to get a new one or get it repaired for free (It seems that Archos rarely repair the units and prefer you to send the unit with all the peripherals and then send you a new one - this would suggest to me that they are extremely difficult to fix and that a lot can go wrong).

Could you please reply to this outlining if it would be possible to receive a refund from BlokesStuff for the Archos AV480, and indeed what this would involve ie if I send the sealed replacement unit to you or back to Archos etc

Regards

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Archos did have a very bad record for repairing products and extremely poor customer service. The fact you are getting brand new replacements is very good actually.

They are not that difficult to repair and you can take them apart relatively easily. Though I would leave that to the experts. I have had my AV340 for a couple of years now and have no problems with it at all. I did replace the battery myself for a slightly uprated and longer lasting one but that's about it. I reckon you should give the new one a try.

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would suggest that the grounds are that the item is not doing the job that it is advertised to do, that is reliably play your songs/videos etc.
    You have accepted replacements as is your right under the warranty, but you are now seriously concerned about the quality of the item and do not trust the equipment.
    From personal experience of an Orange SPV, I know that Orange will replace phones, for a different model, if the same fault occurs on three occassions. Different but similar situation from yours.
    As I said, I am not sure that they will agree to money back, but you lose nothing by asking. Either that or you could protest to the manufacturers, but they might just send you back to the retailer.
    Hopy you have some success.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    That's 3 different occasions repairing the SAME handset and not replacements. That is HTC's and Anovo's repair policy. Different altogether.

8. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got some clarification anyway - Archos told me today that, contrary to what I thought, any time my AV 480 fails and I receive a replacement, the replacement will be covered by a full one year's warranty.

This is surprising - I assumed even though I was sent a new Unit, the unit would only be covered by a warranty up to 1 year after I purchased the original unit. I have no idea if this is the norm for electrical equipment.