Archos AV420 and Sky+

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by Turb007, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Hi

Firstly please move if this is the wrong place... :)

I am looking to buy an Archos AV420 or 40 but before i do does anyone know...

can i copy recordings from sky+ ( i'd prefer to be able to do this as a file copy rather than realtime but i've never used the sky+ copy feature so not even sure if this is possible ) then copy back to my pc and burn to dvd-r?

Also view 6MP jpegs from a cf card EASILY ?

Rip DVD to Divx and play on the archos with EASE

Thanks in advance ..the reason i ask if these things are easy to do is that i see this as a pretty dam good bit of kit and would like it to do all of the above and more but am fed up with spending loads of cash on gadgets that promise they can and will but with load of gotchas. ( and so's the wife) :smashin:

cheers

Turb007

2. slidebed

slidebed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive Got The Archos Av 340 And The 440 It Will Copy SkY+ No Probs! And As For Converting To Divx After A Week You Will Have It Down To A Fine Art It Just Takes A Bit Of Practice Not Sure About Jpegs As I Dont Store Photos On It Check Out Sbd Archos Website Go To Links And Its All Their Including Divx Coversion Ect Hope This Helps

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, absolutely no problem at all. Use the s-video out connection from your SKY+ box for best results. The Archos AV400 series comes with it's own little cradle for easy connection to various output devices. However, you can only copy a recorded programme from SKY+ in realtime even if it is already stored on the SKY+ hard drive. The Archos does have programmable timers so you could record everything over night while you are safely tucked up in bed!

Again, this is very easy to do. You can copy a DVD directly from a DVD player onto the Archos but for far better results use your PC. A combination of DVD shrink & FlaskMPEG will do the trick (these are both pretty user friendly & more importantly FREE!)
    After much experimentation i have settled on a resolution of 320x200 encoded @ 2500mbps. This will give you excellent picture quaility with a reasonable file size (1.2gb approx for a full length movie)

Not too sure about the card reader and display of 6mp JPEGS. Not something i have used or found the need to display but i don't see why it would pose a problem.

I would definitely recommend one of these little machines. They are very easy to use and certainly can do all the things that Archos claim. In addition, the new Archlibrary system means you can now store lots of music files and have them perfectly organised. Sound quality is also excellent, but if you do decide to go for one then make sure that you purchase a decent set of headphones as the ones supplied are pretty poor.

4. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Nice replies thanks...

I think i am going to order tomorrow ..just to clarify once ive got the sky recordings on the AV440 i can copy to pc and burn to dvd for watching or just archiving ?

if i want to use this in two rooms... i have multiroom would it make semse to get an extra cradle. sometimes i will want to record from sky+ but mostly i will want to watch sky + ( from the av440 ) in the other room and record stuff while i sleep from the normal digibox

also what headphones would you reccomend ?

again much appreciated

Turb007

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You can certainly copy the files onto a PC. However, converting them into files that can be read by a DVD player may be a little more difficult (?) You also have to consider the resolution that Archos copies files at. Typically 320 x 200 although in TV mode it can record slightly higher. Neither of these really cut it on a TV screen (imho)
    If you choose to copy a DVD straight from a DVD player onto the Archos then it now has copy protection :(
    It will only allow you to playback the recording on YOUR Archos and at a maximum resolution of 320 x 200 (definitely not good enough for TV playback)
    As mentioned previously though, you will get far superior recordings of DVD via your PC.

Not too sure of Archos supply extra cradles. I think you can buy just the cable that is necessary. Should be more info here...

www.archos.com

As far as headphones go, i went for Sennheiser MX500's (around £15-£20)
    These are in-ear headphones and are excellent. There should be a few other threads on the forums to help you make a decision!

Hope this helps...

6. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Certainy does ..i ordered today and should be here tomorrow..cheers for all your help so far :thumbsup:

cant wait for it to come ...although i kinda justifed it as a second portable pvr that the wife could use on the 24inch ws tv upstairs .. i will wait for it to come ..her definitian of picture quality is way lower than mine :p

7. jiggery

jiggery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help! I'm proud owner of the fab av440 as of saturday. as an mp3 player - great. recording direct from dvd player - great. can i get a signal from my sky box [not sky+] or sony vcr? er, no i can't. like a lot of people this was my main reason for choosing this over the host of pocket video PLAYERS. can anyone help? i've tried every scart socket on the tv [sony], vcr [sony] and digibox [pace/sky] and the red, white and yellow sockets on the front of tv [though i understand these are probably only input sockets]. gutted of london, j

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Dont know if you solved this but i use the video scart on my digi box but you need to use the av inlead with the scart labeled av out or visa vers ...its in the cradle manual anyhow