Archos 7 - Right for me?

HRL

Been looking for a versatile PMP that has considerably more capacity than an iPod as I have about 130Gb of music.

Is it a fair assessment to say that the Archos 7 can do pretty much everything an iPod can do and then some? Unfortunately I've never used one so I'm looking for opinions from owners.

Like the look of the 320Gb Archos 7 and it's currently on Amazon for 359.98.

Wifi for surfing the net seems like a bonus and I've no doubt given the capacity that I'll end up using it for video playback too. Don't suppose there would happen to be a RAW photo plug-in for it?

If it can support FLAC files and RAW I'm already sold, if not then I'm still interested but less certain. Is there anywhere I can go to play around with one of these, only I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
RAW support is not there, but many camera embed a Jpeg image in the RAW file and those can often be read by the Archos, Canon ones have been confirmed for example.

You do realise just how big the 7 is though compared to an iPod? This isn't a device you are going to be casually slipping into a pocket.

Now, regarding lots of music; there is a problem at the moment being reported mostly by people with very large music libraries where some tracks are not making it into the searchable library listings for some reason even though they are on the hard disk.

Also be aware that many people are not satisfied with the volume levels available via headphones as Archos fully comply with EU volume limitations and unlike other similar devices there are no hacks or alternative firmware options to get around it.

You may want to try Comet or airport branches of Dixons for a hands-on experience but stocks of the 7 remain low so call ahead first.

HRL

Thanks for the info Mark.

When you mention the JPEG are you referring to a preview of the RAW photo? If I can use the Archos as a portable HD to transport RAW files, and still preview them then it's not really an issue. I have a Canon 400D so I could set it to create JPEG and RAW files if that makes it any easier.

I realise that it's considerably larger than an iPod but I have pretty large inside pockets on most of my coats. Think it should fit but I guess I won't know until I try.

As for the volume limit, I didn't bother unlocking my 4G iPod so the volume range should be comparable, right?

Think the comment that concerns me the most is about music files not being available within the library listings. That was the primary reason I uninstalled iTunes from my PC because it was suffering a similar problem. Could this be something that an update "should" resolve? In fact that could well be the deciding factor. It's no good having a vast library of music on a PMP if you can't access it all. No reports of similar problems with video files?

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
Video files are not handles in the same way so the problems doesn't occur there.

The music is on the device it just isn't all getting properly categorised in the library. We are not talking about a huge percentage of the files being affected but the problem is definitely there.

One would expect that it will be fixed via a firmware update at some point but it is important to know about the problem if music is your primary use.

Re the RAW files, you shouldn't need to select RAW+JPEG as the JPEG preview contained in the RAW file seems to be recognised and displayed by Archos, but if you have any problems then RAW+JPEG is one way to go.

If your iPod still has the EU limits in place then yes, it should be similar, but try to test this in store if you can as perception sounds for a low when talking sound volumes and if possible test with your own preferred headphones.

HRL

Thanks again to both of you.

This issue that can occur when you have vast amounts of music, if a track doesn't show up in the library playlists, is it possible to locate the file on the Archos and manually play it instead? That's what I ended up doing on my PC when iTunes became retarded.

Have to say I've seen a few reviews of the 7 and it seems like a fantastic piece of kit. Amazon have no stock at the moment anyway, 1-4 week delivery apparently, but my finger keeps hovering over the Check Out button. :D

Initially I thought frequent firmware updates was a bad thing, but at least it proves they're committed to fixing things.

Last edited:

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
Yes, you can still play the missing music files it is just that you can't find them via tags, but if you navigate to the album folder the file is still there and is playable.

HRL

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to find a store with one in stock so that I can have a play with it. Think I'm pretty much sold. :smashin:

HRL

Just an FYI, the price for the 320Gb Archos 7 on Amazon has now gone up to 390 from 358.98, however if you email support they will amend the price on your order.

It went up over 30 pounds between me putting it in my basket and then proceeding to the checkout. A quick polite email and they've sold it for the lower price.

Didn't expect that from Amazon. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom