Archos 604- Canon camera not supported

Back Packer

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Archos 604 and DVR Station mainly for the purpose of archiving and viewing JPEG images from my Canon Powershot S45 camera particularly when on holiday. I now find that when attempting to connect the camera to the Archos using the USB cable supplied with the camera the warning appears “Device not supported” and I am unable to proceed.

However, my wife’s Fujifilm F440 is supported and I am able to view and download images successfully. From the FAQ's on the Archos website it states "Archos 504/604 supports cameras using standard MSC (Mass Storage Class) and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). If you camera uses a non-standard version of these protocols then the transfer may not be possible."

It is very surprising that the Canon camera is not supported as it is a popular and relatively recent model and I now feel that Archos should be more explicit in their literature about major exclusions such as this. As I have no wish to replace the Canon camera it seems that I must now return the Archos and docking station to the supplier, Amazon, and seek a refund of the purchase price.

I realize that there less expensive methods of archiving images than by purchasing an Archos 604 but it’s versatility makes it very attractive apart from this flaw.

Any suggestions please other than to replace my camera or to buy a laptop.

I recently purchased an Archos 604 and DVR Station mainly for the purpose of archiving and viewing JPEG images from my Canon Powershot S45 camera particularly when on holiday. I now find that when attempting to connect the camera to the Archos using the USB cable supplied with the camera the warning appears “Device not supported” and I am unable to proceed.

However, my wife’s Fujifilm F440 is supported and I am able to view and download images successfully. From the FAQ's on the Archos website it states "Archos 504/604 supports cameras using standard MSC (Mass Storage Class) and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). If you camera uses a non-standard version of these protocols then the transfer may not be possible."

It is very surprising that the Canon camera is not supported as it is a popular and relatively recent model and I now feel that Archos should be more explicit in their literature about major exclusions such as this. As I have no wish to replace the Canon camera it seems that I must now return the Archos and docking station to the supplier, Amazon, and seek a refund of the purchase price.

I realize that there less expensive methods of archiving images than by purchasing an Archos 604 but it’s versatility makes it very attractive apart from this flaw.

Any suggestions please other than to replace my camera or to buy a laptop.

Jobo Giga view pro evo (thats a mouthfull). Bought one for my wife for christmas.........either plug camera into port, card into slot or use wifi link from Canon for direct download. The screen is awesome, best available and video playback is faultless. It will also do 'on the fly' editing, RAW images, dust detection and black and white..........really chunky and tough, available with 40/80/120 G drives. Its expensive, but worth the money IMO.

This is the EVO version not the older one.........its black in colour so watch where your looking when finding reviews.......its this one http://www.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp?pname=/products.asp?id=JOBO&group=STORAGE

Jobo Giga view pro evo (thats a mouthfull). Bought one for my wife for christmas.........either plug camera into port, card into slot or use wifi link from Canon for direct download. The screen is awesome, best available and video playback is faultless. It will also do 'on the fly' editing, RAW images, dust detection and black and white..........really chunky and tough, available with 40/80/120 G drives. Its expensive, but worth the money IMO.

This is the EVO version not the older one.........its black in colour so watch where your looking when finding reviews.......its this one http://www.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp...&group=STORAGE

Thanks for quick response but camera and Archos are not wifi enabled, no card slot on Archos or DVR station and camera port does not support Canon Powershot S45.

Good device but not much use to me!

This is the EVO version not the older one.........its black in colour so watch where your looking when finding reviews.......its this one http://www.t4cameras.co.uk/index.asp...&group=STORAGE

Thanks for quick response but camera and Archos are not wifi enabled, no card slot on Archos or DVR station and camera port does not support Canon Powershot S45.

Good device but not much use to me!

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your problem ?

Thought you said you were returning the Archos unit as it did not support your Canon ? So this was instead of the Archos as it uses plain USB ports and card reader like a pc. The Jobo supports the S45 even with RAW images.

No standard USB host device handles Canon because Canon uses their own drivers/standard. You can't just plug a canon camera to you're XP PC without installing a driver. (At least this is the case with the IXUS series)

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand your problem ?

Thought you said you were returning the Archos unit as it did not support your Canon ? So this was instead of the Archos as it uses plain USB ports and card reader like a pc. The Jobo supports the S45 even with RAW images.

Thanks for clarification, I'm waiting for a response from Archos, hopefully they will offer a software solution. I'll have a serious look at the Jobo if I have to ditch the Archos, subject to refund of the purchase price .

Thanks again

No standard USB host device handles Canon because Canon uses their own drivers/standard. You can't just plug a canon camera to you're XP PC without installing a driver. (At least this is the case with the IXUS series)

Thanks for your advice, wish I had known this before purchase but surely Archos should make it clear which popular camera makes are not supported. I imagine there will be many other disappointed 604 owners whose primary reason for purchase is to archive images when on holiday. The other features should be a bonus in my case.

I now understand from your reply why I would need to load the supplied software before connecting my Canon camera to the computer, but I prefer to download images from a card reader instead, no risk of the battery going down mid-transfer. Pity the Archos does not have a slot for reading cards such as some other devices, the Goodmans for example.

My wife's Fuji camera was also supplied with software to enable the direct to computer connection, but this camera is supported by Archos unlike the Canon.

Great pity, otherwise a capable piece of kit.

I'm wondering whether there is an intermediate flash device supported by Archos which could be used to download images from the Canon camera and which then could be uploaded to the 604. Or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your advice, wish I had known this before purchase but surely Archos should make it clear which popular camera makes are not supported. I imagine there will be many other disappointed 604 owners whose primary reason for purchase is to archive images when on holiday. The other features should be a bonus in my case.

I now understand from your reply why I would need to load the supplied software before connecting my Canon camera to the computer, but I prefer to download images from a card reader instead, no risk of the battery going down mid-transfer. Pity the Archos does not have a slot for reading cards such as some other devices, the Goodmans for example.

My wife's Fuji camera was also supplied with software to enable the direct to computer connection, but this camera is supported by Archos unlike the Canon.

Great pity, otherwise a capable piece of kit.

I'm wondering whether there is an intermediate flash device supported by Archos which could be used to download images from the Canon camera and which then could be uploaded to the 604. Or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for your help.

Just checked that out and appears that the Jobo can.......at least in RAW format. It is built to handle virtually any camera and uses open source software, so probably has the drivers built in. It is a photographers tool first and foremost so I would expect them to try and make it work with everything.

Just checked that out and appears that the Jobo can.......at least in RAW format. It is built to handle virtually any camera and uses open source software, so probably has the drivers built in. It is a photographers tool first and foremost so I would expect them to try and make it work with everything.

Thanks again.
Just had a look at the Jobo Giga Vu Pro spec, seems impressive clearly intended for archiving and viewing digital images (RAW as well!!!), with playing MP3's and viewing videos as an option. Pricey but well worth considering if I am unable to find the a method of using my Archos 604 ( and can get my money back).

Thanks again.
Just had a look at the Jobo Giga Vu Pro spec, seems impressive clearly intended for archiving and viewing digital images (RAW as well!!!), with playing MP3's and viewing videos as an option. Pricey but well worth considering if I am unable to find the a method of using my Archos 604 ( and can get my money back).

Have you checked out the screen resolution on the Jobo 3.7" LCD 640 x 480 pixels with adjustable RGB :thumbsup:

and the Archos 604 4.3'' TFT (480X272 pixels)

so, a slightly smaller screen, but far greater clarity. You can plug it into your home tv system too.

Just in case you managed to get hold of the old Giga Vu Pro spec, heres a link to the evo http://www.jobo.com/jobo_digital/giga_vu_pro_evolution/gb/techn_data.html

I have an Archos AV560 and it can download and display JPEG's from my Canon 300D, providing I've set the 300D to PTP protocol.

Also my Archos will read off a card reader plugged into the USB in.

But none of the Archoses are as good as the dedicated photo readers for working with cameras, but then again the dedicated photo devices aren't as good at recording video as the PMP's

I have an Archos AV560 and it can download and display JPEG's from my Canon 300D, providing I've set the 300D to PTP protocol.

Also my Archos will read off a card reader plugged into the USB in.

But none of the Archoses are as good as the dedicated photo readers for working with cameras, but then again the dedicated photo devices aren't as good at recording video as the PMP's

Many thanks, problem solved. After re-setting the camera communication to PTP the Archos 604 recognized the camera and I was able to download images with no difficulty.

I'm not sure whether I need to return the communication setting to "Normal" after the download is finished or is it safe to leave it set to "PTP"?

Could you also explain the method you use to connect the card reader. I assume this is an ordinary card reader such as used to download images etc to a computer. Does the reader need power suppply, if so will this be provided through the USB connection to the Archos DVR station?

I discussed this problem at length today with Archos technical support who were unable to provide any useful advice, I am therefore very grateful for your assistance. As you suggest, a dedicated photo device such as the Jobo or the Epson P2000 would have been a better choice in my case but I'm learning as I go and without your help it was beginning to look like a very expensive mistake.

Once again - many thanks.

I just plugged my card reader into the USB in lead provided by Archos and it worked fine.

I leave my camera set to PTP doesn't seem to make any difference, but I must admit that I don't transfer many photos to my Archos as I have a few large memory cards, but on a recent holiday I did use the Archos as back up just to be on the safe side.

I just plugged my card reader into the USB in lead provided by Archos and it worked fine.

I leave my camera set to PTP doesn't seem to make any difference, but I must admit that I don't transfer many photos to my Archos as I have a few large memory cards, but on a recent holiday I did use the Archos as back up just to be on the safe side.

I have had no success connecting the CF card reader to the Archos 604 via the DVR station using a USB cable, the message “device not supported” is displayed. I have tried reformating the card with the communication setting to PTP and even trying with images taken with the camera set PTP. No matter, I can now download images by connecting the camera direct to the DVR station.

I would be still be grateful for any suggestions to overcome the problem with the card but I’m at a loss since I seem to have changed every possible setting.

I just tried my AV560 with my 6 in 1 card reader. If I plug the card reader in without a memory card installed I get an error, which doesn't clear when I plug the memory card in. If I put the memory card into the reader and then plug it into my Archos it works fine. No special treatment of the CF card required.

I just tried my AV560 with my 6 in 1 card reader. If I plug the card reader in without a memory card installed I get an error, which doesn't clear when I plug the memory card in. If I put the memory card into the reader and then plug it into my Archos it works fine. No special treatment of the CF card required.

It works! Plugging the card into the card reader and then connecting the USB cable from the reader to the DVR station (station already connected to power supply and Archos switched on).

All problems solved (for now), many thanks for your help. Lets hope Archos technical support read these forums, I'm sure I am not the only one to experience these problems with camera and card reader compatibility, hopefully they will add these tips to their manuals.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom