• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Archos 504 - how can I record with headcam?

J

jimparker

Having difficulty recording with headcam on to Archos 504. Headcam is fine - will record on to camcorder - and records sound to Archos but not picture. Do I need a codec or plugin or something? Archos not helpful.

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Is this an Archos headcam and how are you connecting it to the 504?

Have you checked that you have 'composite' selected as the recording input type on the 504?

pc72002

Standard Member
Hello everyone. I just joined to discuss this same problem.
I have a 504 which i bought to record from a sony "lipstick" helmet cam.
After recording, i found that some video can be downloaded to a computer and played back. Some video can only be viewed in the Archos itself! It also breaks up video into random "shorter" segments, which might be related.
I called Archos twice. They told me that unless i buy their camera, that some "other brand" cameras will confuse the 504 and it puts a lock on them.

When i download or try to play the video, it has a message on it that says "Copy Protected Video File. Can only be played by original recording device"

I get sound, but no video. Archos says they have no interest in having me email them a video to try figuring this problem out. NICE!!
Help me!! I have very important video on here that i need to get downloaded for our store. I am willing to pay someone to figure this out. I know nothing about codecs or any of this stuff. :lease:
Paul

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Hard to fault Archos for not wanting to resolve problems with a Sony camera when they do not make any promises that it will work with anything other than their own camera. Did you try asking Sony for help?

The problem with material that will only play on the Archos is related to copy protection. Archos respects copy protection methods such as 'Macrovision' and something in the data it is getting from the camera makes it believe the video should be protected.

Once a recording is flagged like that you cannot remove the copy protection using any features on the Archos.

I'm not sure about the problem with the random short segments, how short are they? If you are starting and stopping the camera that might do it, and I seem to recall that the maximum recording length isn't all that long either.

Last edited:

pc72002

Standard Member
Archos says that the recording time is limited to one hour. I have tested that and agree with them, although i just had a 45 minute video get cut into a 2.5 minute and a 42.5 minute segment (go figure). I called Sony tech dept and they said that there is no software or anything in their camera that is capable of causing a copyright issue.

I was told the first time by Archos that they have NO issues with any camera. The second call they admitted that my issue is a known "glitch" (their words, not mine). Thats when i was first told i had to use their helmet cam. My sony camera is a higher resolution and i love it, but it causes these issues about half the time.

Sooo...is there a way to crack open the videos i recorded? Its not copyrighted since i am the one who filmed our motorcycle and atv footage. How can i do this?

I appreciate your assistance greatly!!!

bladebod

Standard Member
Hi did you get any resolution to the non OEM cam bullocks which Archos seem to be pushing ? I bought and fitted up a cam set using the travel adaptor and it worked well. Put it away and later found that the Archos did not recognise the cam any more symbolised by the no connection icon on the recorder screen, yesit senses and will record sound but not video. Has anyone cracked this yet ?

Archos says that the recording time is limited to one hour. I have tested that and agree with them, although i just had a 45 minute video get cut into a 2.5 minute and a 42.5 minute segment (go figure). I called Sony tech dept and they said that there is no software or anything in their camera that is capable of causing a copyright issue.

I was told the first time by Archos that they have NO issues with any camera. The second call they admitted that my issue is a known "glitch" (their words, not mine). Thats when i was first told i had to use their helmet cam. My sony camera is a higher resolution and i love it, but it causes these issues about half the time.

Sooo...is there a way to crack open the videos i recorded? Its not copyrighted since i am the one who filmed our motorcycle and atv footage. How can i do this?

I appreciate your assistance greatly!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom