Archos 5 poor playback quality

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by globecruiser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. globecruiser

globecruiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. New to the forum. I have recently purchased the Archos 5 250gb + gen 6 DVR station. I have to say I am disappointed with the playback quality from TV recordings. I have connected it with the supplied RGB connection and followed the setup instructions. The problem is close ups of flesh or pictures of big skies or other large areas are distorted. It is as if somebody has pressed the screen....difficult to describe. I have seen comments here about upping the bitrate but cannot find a menu to do this.
    If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Contacted Archos by email. They didn't reply!

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The maximum resoltion of a recording will be 640x480 so it is never going to look great if you are replaying onto a large screen.

What as you using as the source and are you reviewing it on the Archos or a TV ?

3. globecruiser

globecruiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the rely Mark. Source is a Sagem freeview box and I am reviewing the recordings on the Archos itself. Reviewing on the TV is seems worse still. Do you know a procedure for upping the bitrate? Should this help a little? Currently seems to record at around 1400.

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The bit-rate and other options are available in the recorder settings screen, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

I record everything at 1500kb/s and the quality seems adequate to me given the resolution limits.

5. globecruiser

globecruiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can I ask you Mark... on facial close-up shots is this image perfect or is there some distortion?

6. Hollywood007

Hollywood007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can increase the bitrate to a maximum 2500/Kbps and it makes a significant difference especially on the larger TV.

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    That can help for sure, but nothing gets past the fact it is only 640x480 at most, less if you record in widescreen as it drops the vertical resolution.

If you replay that on a 1080p screen you are feeding it with less than 1/6th of the information it needs so there is a lot of interpolation going on by your TVs scaler.

Close-up shots of a face or anything for that matter are not going to look great whatever you do.

8. Hollywood007

Hollywood007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That's correct you don't want to set the Archos to a Widescreen record setting...that will distroy the picture, keep it at 4:3 and with 2500 Kbps the quality will improve. It may not be DVD quality but it will certainly be a much better viewing experience and will still be decent if you decide to "stretch" it to fit from your TV using your TV remote control.

Cheers.

9. VagosK

VagosK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys any general advice on the Archos 5? There's a good deal from comet at the moment but I've heard really mixed reviews about it...

10. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Depends what you need it for.

I still enjoy mine for playing movies and stuff I record from the TV during long flights.

Personally I wouldn't buy it for the internet capability and there are better MP3 players out there, but for movies it is hard to beat.