1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archiving to -RW instead of -R?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Jan 8, 2005.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any disadvantage to using RW instead of R to archive stuff to?

I can get Verbatitm -RW for cheaper than Verbatim -R at the moment so was wondering if it would be a good idea as then I can always re-format one if I get sick off something on it.

I will be using my XS32 to record all of them, and to play most of them (though will also use my laptop and a stand-alone player to play some on). Are they vastly incompatible with other devices, as I have heard mixed reports?

Thanks

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Verbatim rate their DVD-RW media as having a life span of around 30 years, their DVD-R media is rated around 100 years. Of course no one really knows if the accelerated aging tests really do give a true indication until we can try playing 100 year old media!

If you are happy with those ratings then no reason not to use DVD-RW. However another good reason for using write-once DVD-R is you remove the possiblity of accidently erasing the recording so be careful with anything important :)

Regards

Philip

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    I've found playback of -RWs to be less reliable than -Rs on some older players, presumably due to their lower reflection. This shouldn't be a problem if you will be playing them on new equipment.