1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

archiving to dvd

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by sted, Jun 2, 2005.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    need to free up my hard drive and have a couple of questions. what do i need to use to archive off movies that i want to be able to play in other dvd players? if i use the media center record to dvd functionality would i later be able to import back to media center? also, not for archiving but is there any way i can convert the video back to standard wmv so i can play it on my smartphone?

2. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, was also going to ask if there's any good instructions/manual out there for media center 2005?

3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC Magazine in the US have a MCE book. I got mine through Amazon UK marketplace.

4. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    turns out you need sonic encoder installed to be able to make a video dvd. since i built the machine myself i don't have this. anyone know how to get hold of it? or is there an alternative? i just want to make some dvd's out of my tv programmes - seems more tricky than it should be!
    cheers
    ed

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There is a version of Sonic thats free in the OEM system builder pack it adds the link in media center so you can just press info on your remote then create cd/dvd that basically creates a data dvd/cd so you can put pictures,recorded tv etc onto a dvd but this will only then play on a PC not a stand alone dvd player for that you will need to either use some external dvd authoring software or purchase Sonic full version which will allow you to put recorded TV onto dvd in proper dvd format.