Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Archiving on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Loz2, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Loz2

Loz2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just been referred to this forum so bear with me if this is the wrong place to ask the question!

I have a lot of video material on U-matic / Betamax / VHS / S-VHS and need to transfer this to something to archive the material long-term without losing quality of the originals. I have heard conflicting reports about DVD recorders up till now and need to transfer to a format that is at least accessible and compatible with future formats. I need to avoid making classic mistakes and regretting them, so a few dos and don'ts and solid advice on the best option to pursue would be appreciated!

Also, is the process of transfer simple and what exactly is involved. I need to get the stuff transferred while the tapes are in good condition really, and onto something that will reliably preserve it!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Have a look through the posts in the "DVD Recorders & Media" forum - you can get to it from the route AV Forums menu under the heading AV Sources. Alternatively click here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=113

I suggest you just have a quick read through some of the posts (as that will probably raise more questions than you've got now!). Archiving from VHS/SVHS/Betamax is easy and can produce some very impressive results. Never archive from U-Matic but I believe it outputs in normal composite (albeit high quality composite) so you shouldn't have any trouble there either.

Anyway have a read through and if you still have questions post there.