Archiving off Sky Plus - connection used?

franko180

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have an Amstrad DRX180 and I want to archive off some of the recordings. In the past I've used a DVD Recorder connected to a Scart socket on the Sky Plus, but now I've got a "Neuros OSD" to record with. Looking at the Neuros, it has composite video input (by means of a 3.5mm jack socket on the unit which is wired to yellow video / red and white stereo phonos) and an S-Video input.

I have read about people using the Scart on the Sky Plus, with a menu option setting the Scart to RGB signal?

Which connection is the best to use on the Neuros, is it the S-Video connector? And if so, does it connect directly to the S-Video on the back of the Sky Plus using a 'male to male' S-Video lead?

Thanks!

S-video will certainly give you a sharper picture than composite. Generally, the picture quality is considered best to worse in this order:

HDMI
Component
RGB
S-video
Composite
RF.

And yes, an s-video to s-video connector (for video) and RCA stereo audio cables for audio is probably the best connection you will achieve with this Neuros thing.

S-video will certainly give you a sharper picture than composite. Generally, the picture quality is considered best to worse in this order:

HDMI
Component
RGB
S-video
Composite
RF.

And yes, an s-video to s-video connector (for video) and RCA stereo audio cables for audio is probably the best connection you will achieve with this Neuros thing.

Thanks, useful info. Just to take this further, I know its possible to configure a scart output on the Sky Plus as an RGB scart, so is it possible to get a connection from that and connect it to the SVideo or are they incompatible? I've seen SVideo-Scart leads, so will I get better quality from SVideo-SVideo or RGB-Scart to SVideo?

Last edited:
Thanks, useful info. Just to take this further, I know its possible to configure a scart output on the Sky Plus as an RGB scart, so is it possible to get a connection from that and connect it to the SVideo or are they incompatible? I've seen SVideo-Scart leads, so will I get better quality from SVideo-SVideo or RGB-Scart to SVideo?

RGB and s-video are incompatible with each other - you will only get a black and white (though very sharp) picture.

Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure I approach this the right way. I'll be archiving 20-30 hours off the sky and want to make sure I dont get half way though it and then find I could have done it a slightly better way. They'll be MP4 files anyway, so I guess techinically slightly lossy depending on the settings, so I can't get too fussy about it.

Thanks for the pointers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom