Archiving off Sky Plus - connection used?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by franko180, Jan 30, 2009.

1. franko180

franko180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an Amstrad DRX180 and I want to archive off some of the recordings. In the past I've used a DVD Recorder connected to a Scart socket on the Sky Plus, but now I've got a "Neuros OSD" to record with. Looking at the Neuros, it has composite video input (by means of a 3.5mm jack socket on the unit which is wired to yellow video / red and white stereo phonos) and an S-Video input.

I have read about people using the Scart on the Sky Plus, with a menu option setting the Scart to RGB signal?

Which connection is the best to use on the Neuros, is it the S-Video connector? And if so, does it connect directly to the S-Video on the back of the Sky Plus using a 'male to male' S-Video lead?

Thanks!

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    S-video will certainly give you a sharper picture than composite. Generally, the picture quality is considered best to worse in this order:

HDMI
    Component
    RGB
    S-video
    Composite
    RF.

And yes, an s-video to s-video connector (for video) and RCA stereo audio cables for audio is probably the best connection you will achieve with this Neuros thing.

3. franko180

franko180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, useful info. Just to take this further, I know its possible to configure a scart output on the Sky Plus as an RGB scart, so is it possible to get a connection from that and connect it to the SVideo or are they incompatible? I've seen SVideo-Scart leads, so will I get better quality from SVideo-SVideo or RGB-Scart to SVideo?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    RGB and s-video are incompatible with each other - you will only get a black and white (though very sharp) picture.

5. franko180

franko180
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure I approach this the right way. I'll be archiving 20-30 hours off the sky and want to make sure I dont get half way though it and then find I could have done it a slightly better way. They'll be MP4 files anyway, so I guess techinically slightly lossy depending on the settings, so I can't get too fussy about it.

Thanks for the pointers