Archiving from V+ box - recommended hardware

mark*w

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had my V+ box for over a year now, and I'd like to archive some TV shows off of it. So I am now looking for a new piece of kit to record the programs onto.

I understand that for the best quality I'll have to use the RGB Scart connection. So can someone recommend either a DVD recorder, computer TV card (laptop would be best) or other media recorder to copy the TV programs onto.

Thanks

Mark

mark*w

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply.

But won't I have to use the component output from the V+ box, and doesn't that give you problems?

Ben

But won't I have to use the component output from the V+ box, and doesn't that give you problems?
You'd only have to use component for archivings. You can use HDMI or whatever connection you normally use for everything else. The only content that won't play through component is some of the HDCP enabled HD VoD stuff, but then that wouldn't play through RGB scart either :)

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Whilst Bens suggestion is very interesting as far as I can see this is effectively an HD capture device for a PC. I aso think it is perhaps a bit overkill for the OP's requirements.

He would be better off with a simple capture card or USB Device for his PC or a Sony or Panasonic HDD DVDR which is what I use. You can then copy recordings to the HDD from the V+ without interfering with your normal watching/ recording use of the V+. You can then drop these onto a DVD at your leisure. I use a RGB Scart connection to the DVDR which for playback upscales via an HDMI connection to the TV.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Whilst Bens suggestion is very interesting as far as I can see this is effectively an HD capture device for a PC. I aso think it is perhaps a bit overkill for the OP's requirements.

He would be better off with a simple capture card or USB Device for his PC or a Sony or Panasonic HDD DVDR which is what I use. You can then copy recordings to the HDD from the V+ without interfering with your normal watching/ recording use of the V+. You can then drop these onto a DVD at your leisure. I use a RGB Scart connection to the DVDR which for playback upscales via an HDMI connection to the TV.

I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I thought the V+ VCR scart only produced a composite signal. I thought the only way to get RGB is to feed the TV scart into the HDD recorder and then to the TV, but then you wouldn't be able to use an HDMI connection to the TV from the V+ as you can't have TV scart output and HDMI output at the same time.

I have the V+ HDMI going to the TV and use the VCR scart to a Panasonic HDD and use the 'Copy to VCR/DVD' function in the V+ EXTRAS section. As far as I know, this gives me a composite signal.

Ben

I'm afraid you're correct in your assumptions. Boostrail's talking about daisychaining the V+ through his DVDR. So his V+ is in SD mode & connected via RGB scart to his DVDR. His DVDR is then upscaling the incoming RGB signal & outputting it over it's own HDMI connection to his TV.

Hope that clears things up :)

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I thought the V+ VCR scart only produced a composite signal. I thought the only way to get RGB is to feed the TV scart into the HDD recorder and then to the TV, but then you wouldn't be able to use an HDMI connection to the TV from the V+ as you can't have TV scart output and HDMI output at the same time.

I have the V+ HDMI going to the TV and use the VCR scart to a Panasonic HDD and use the 'Copy to VCR/DVD' function in the V+ EXTRAS section. As far as I know, this gives me a composite signal.

No it does not! It defo gives you a RGB signal if your HDD DVDR can accept this on its Scart input I have a Sony (made by Pioneer) HDD DVDR and what I get out of the VCR Scart from the V+ is categorically RGB.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I'm afraid you're correct in your assumptions. Boostrail's talking about daisychaining the V+ through his DVDR. So his V+ is in SD mode & connected via RGB scart to his DVDR. His DVDR is then upscaling the incoming RGB signal & outputting it over it's own HDMI connection to his TV.

Hope that clears things up :)

No it B****y doesn't

Please read what I said!

What do you mean my V+ is in SD Mode? Its in 1080i via HDMI! So SD is upscaled to 1080i and BBC and VOD HD is presented at 1080i

Meanwhile the V+ "VCR" scart is connected at RGB to my HDD DVDR and this is connected to the TV via HDMI also but this is not "daisy chaining"!!!

I use the VCR scart only to download recordings to the HDD DVDR (or to watch a recording on another TV whilst another V+channel is being watched on the main TV whilst 2 other recordings are being made - brilliant!)

Last edited:

Ben

No it B****y doesn't
Chiiiiillll Winston :D

Please read what I said!
I use a RGB Scart connection to the DVDR which for playback upscales via an HDMI connection to the TV.
I assumed you meant "playback" on the V+, apologies if that wasn't the case.

Meanwhile the V+ "VCR" scart is connected at RGB to my HDD DVDR and this is connected to the TV via HDMI also but this is not "daisy chaining"!!!
In that case, excellent news. I guess there must've been a recent update or something-?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom