• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Archiving from Sky HD Box

pony1982

Standard Member
Hey Guys,

I'm a bit of a newbie to this, but I'd like to archive the recordings from my SKY HD box to my pc. I'm not too fussed about not getting HD content on my PC. Is there a way to copy the file from the Sky HD hard drive straight to my PC, or would I have to play back the recorded stream and capture it on my pc?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Sparky101

Established Member
You need to capture, simple as that. And you'll only be able to capture in SD without spending a heluva lot on a component capture card (I think you're talking £1000's for those bad boys).

pony1982

Standard Member
Cheers for your response.

That said, is there any way to upgrade the hard drive on my sky HD box to a 750GB/1TB drive? This way, I dont have to bother about running out of space on there. My only concern is how I'd have to partition the 140GB that SKY have seemingly reserved for themselves...

Coming back to capturing recorded videos from SKY HD, can anyone point me to a link/guide where I can get instructions on teh most efficient way to do this. I currently have a Windows MCE PC with Hauppauge PVR 150 TV Card.

Thanks for your help in advance guys...

rentagas

Established Member
I've not seen a SATA 1 TB drive but there are 500GB and a 750GB drives available. The 750GB Seagate is said to be very noisy though.
if you use drives bigger than 500GB you will need to format the drive in a PC first with some software (which also allows you to copy the contents of your old drive)
It is impossible to use Sky's reserved 140GB

pony1982

Standard Member
Thanks rentagas.

Could you pointme to a guide where I could go through the steps needed to install a larger hard drive on the sky HD box? in terms of the s/w needed, tools, step by step guide etc so that I don't end up knackering my HD box.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom