Archiving DVDs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by melliott1963, Feb 5, 2009.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Once I've edited my home videos, I always create 2 DVDs, one for use and the other for storage. I also have a copy of the final edited media on MiniDV tape.

I'm aware that DVDs can deteriorate over time and have just seen you can buy Gold DVDs which are meant to last 100 years (Scratch Armor Gold DVD-R discs).

The chances of me actually needing to reburn old DVDs is probably remote, but sod's law says that the one day I really need to do this, the DVD will be unreadable, so anything I can do to store the data safely will help.

So, has anyone used these? Are they any good? Are they worth paying a premium for (I've seen 10 for £25) or would I just be wasting my money?

Thanks for any help.

2. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Gold DVDs?

My advice would be to stick to the media you've been using (if it's tried it must be true) and remaster / duplicate every year, or every two years maximum. If sod's law holds, I can't see why it wouldn't apply to these new-fangled DVDs, as well.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I agree. however I also tend to have ISO disc images on carefully kept HDDS .. Some from 2000 to date which when burnt to DVD look as "fresh" as the day they were made
    HDD" are not infallable but the chances of HDD and DVD disc failing have to be very low indeed

4. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I would say it's ore important to buy good brands (ie. Tayo Yuden, Verbatim).
    Some of the Verbatim range are supposed to last 100 years if stored properly (though of course no-ones tested it yet :)) Can't remember which ones off the top of my heard, think it's the DVD-Rs.

It's very important to store DVDs properly ie. in their jewel cases, out of sunlight, normal temperature ranges etc.

I've also heard that blank DVDs that come in jewel cases are of better quality than those in bulk packaging (ie. cakes), not sure how true that is.

5. sidefall

sidefall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why not get yourself a couple of cheap USB hard drives - I think 500GB ones can be had for about £60 and 1TB ones for about £100, and make two hard drive copies of all your DVDs. You should be able to get 100 DVDs on a 500GB HDD. Having two drives gives you a bit of redundancy should one fail.

I actually have a RAID array in a server that I use for archiving.

6. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    DVDs still have their place in the back-ups armoury, especially for off-site backup. RAID is great (I archive to a RAID-enabled external myself), but doesn't help much if the drive chipset fails and corrupts both drives or a surge blasts them, or there's a fire, earthquake, flood, vandalistic rampage etc.

7. Mr Lazy

Mr Lazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Ah yes...they are becoming more and more frequent around here these days... :D

8. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking to purchase a NAS in the very near future so will just save iso's of the DVDs there.

I'll probably still do spare copies to keep round our parent's house in case of a real disaster.

I only use Verbatim discs, so even if I only renew the copies every 5 years this should be more than adequate.

Thanks again.