1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archiving broadcast quality to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Vic_B, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Vic_B

Vic_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been reading so much stuff recently about hard disk recorders, dvd recorders, bitrates etc that I'm beginning to confuse myself, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with my questions.
    I know the Sky+ box records progs in broadcast quality to it's HD by copying the bitstream, as does Pace's new digital freeview/HD box. Would I be correct in thinking that the only way to archive an exact bit for bit copy to dvd would be to use a firewire connection cable? If I were to connect a dvd recorder to the sky+/Pace box via scart, I wouldn't get an exact copy as it would be an analogue connection. Is that correct? Do either the Sky+ or Pace box have a firewire out socket? If not, would I be correct in thinking that the only current way to get exact copies of programmes archived to dvd would be to use a digital card in a PC, record the bitstream of the prog to the hard drive and then use a PC dvd writer to burn the files to disc?

Also, for those who own dvd recorders, whats the quality of the analogue tuners in these like? Reviews in magazines tend to use recordings made from set top boxes to comment on picture quality, not many mention the quality of analogue recordings. How does the look of the analogue recording compare to the original broadcast?

Cheers,
    Vic.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently got sky+ and a Panny E30 DVDR

in XP or shortplay mode the quality of recordings is superb. I find it difficult to tell the difference from the original broadcast.

Personally I have been using the variable bit rate to record around 3hrs per -R disk for TV series

DVDR can not record in DD5.1 which sky movies are broadcast in. The DVDR records in DD2. However, in XP mode in uses something called LCPM to enhance the sound quality.

You must connect a DVDR to the Sky+ TV scart to record in RGB

The analogue tuner in the DVDR is fantastic but I can not see it being used much

3. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

You mentioned using 3hr mode in FR on the E30 and I am thinking that I'd use something similar for off air recording but I can't seem to find the correct way to do it.

The FR seems to be OK to set up and use when your taping - right then - but not for the program recording mode.

Getting only 2 episodes of a show on a disk is a bit limiting and the precise nature of the disk length means you can't top and tail it by 2-4 min to make sure you get all of it with broadasting variations. Wish someone would bring back those 195 min VHS tapes as they were great.

-

Along the same lines I found the record program timer in the top right hand corner just gives me the length of the SP or LP mode but not how much disk space is left. Am I right in thinking you can mix record speeds except for XP?

I lost a weekend of recording due to some bizarro conflict I wasn't aware of.

Cheers

Mark

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Bobbles,

What kind of picture quality can you expect from using the VBR feature to record 3hrs of TV show to a disc?

I haven't got my Panny E30 yet, but I was thinking doing the same length per disc for TV shows.

5. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I find it's OK, sometimes improved over VHS for the 3hr mode.

What I haven't sussed out yet is how to use 3hr mode as a standard time, I can only use it as a record right thre and then.

Is there a way?

Cheers

Mark

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    great thanks. I suppose the best thing to do is test out all the lengths and see what I think is good etc.

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can record broadcast quality (from digital terrestrial) strait onto my computers HDD with a card called the Nebula DigiTV and then I burn the mpeg 2 stream onto DVD, not one bit is lost and the quality is as good as it gets (as good as transmitted). There are similar cards for Satellite reception but you can't get most channels (including BBC) because they are encrypted. I can see somebody making a consumer DVB-T/HDD/DVDR combo box at some point, wouldn't it be nice if it had an ethernet port so you can access the files on the HDD too...

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can not compare to SVHS my VCR is about 5years old quite an expensive Panny at the time

but 3hrs VBR beats the pants off VHS quality personally I would say 6hrs is still better than VHS

not tried a timer recording using Flexibile record.

when I have been archiving I have been recording onto sky+ then watching at a time when I can record onto dvd

the flexible record works by maximising the bit rate of your recording to fit onto a disc

so if you wanted to record 10 episodes of Seinfeld say at 22min each (total 3hrs 40min)

when recording the first episode you would set Flex Rec to 3hrs 40 then the second episode to 3hrs 18min etc until the final recording you would set it to 22min

a bit of a pain in the arse really it is not like setting it record SP LP etc

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    FR is really useful if the length of the prog you want to record is between the standard modes. If you're doing something which is less than an hour you're better off using XP. I doubt you'll see any difference between FR and XP for a 22 minute recording. That way you can set all episodes at 22 minutes - much less hassle.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was this in reply to my post?

if so I don't get you

personally i set up to record about 8ish, 22min episodes per disc which means to get a balanced quality I need in total a shade under 3hr mode which doesn't exist. So to record each episode separately I need to reduce the Flex Rec by 22min for each after each episode has been recorded.

Is there any easy way to do this then?

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sorry, Bobbles. I hadn't picked up you want to get 8 episodes on a disc. At XP level you could just about squeeze in 3 at best quality, but using 3 times as many discs. Your way certainly maximises quality versus space saving.

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not only that but if you want to watch a batch changing discs is annoying