1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archiving 8mm video

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dune, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I have a quite a few old 8mm video tapes (not hi-8, just standard def 8mm) I shot on an old Canon 8mm video camera.

I'd like to archive these to DVD and do a little editing on the way.

In the past I tried using a Pinnacle USB Plus dongle thingy to get video on to the PC but this was never much of a success and I gave up.

My old Canon video camera is on the blink and no longer suitable for playing the tapes back but despite that the Pinnacle Studio software was diabolical and the USB Plus not much better.

I have been happily authoring DVD's from video shot on my JVC mini-dv camera using Windows Movie maker and Nero to burn the DVD.

That is connected by a firewire port to the PC.

So I had thought the best way to go about this was to get a cheap second hand 8mm camera to replace the Canon, transfer the analogue tapes to the JVC mini-dv camera and then from there to the PC as I have been doing for the mini-dv tapes.

Does this sound a reasonable plan? I don't have much faith in analogue capture devices given my experience of the Pinnacle product hence the desire to get the analogue tapes onto the JVC.

Any thoughts on this appreciated particularly on how to connect an analogue camera to the JVC (the JVC has firewire input and I have a lead that has an S-VHS connector on one end and can connect to the JVC with the other if that helps).

Dave

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    This is the best method of getting analogue video onto a PC. However it is only possible if the DV camcorder has AV-in and most sold in the UK don't :mad:
    If your JVC cam does not state that it has AV-in then there is no way of useing the cam to get the analogue video onto the PC as it will not record via the analogue connections. These will be for output to a VCR or TV only. Therefore IMO you have 2 options (excluding the USB connections as you have already stated you don't want to try this again):

1. buy a new DV cam with AV-in
    2. buy an analogue capture device such as the Canopus ADVC converters

If you are happy with your current DV cam then option 1 is an expensive option and will make the JVC redundent. Option 2 though is not that cheap. The Canopus ADVC converters start from around £150 but they are IMO worth the money as they give excellent results.

Mark.

3. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am pretty sure mine does. You have to fiddle about in a menu to enable it. I shall check again this evening.

Option 1 is a non-starter and option 2 isn't that attractive either !! I have to budget for a replacement analogue camera as it is given my old Canon is kaput. eBay her I come!

Are there no alternatives to Canapus that will cope adequately with normal digital 8 (not Hi-8) footage?

I shall check out my JVC camera again tonight and try importing some analogue video from the VHS player to make sure it works.

Thanks for confirming getting the analogue in via the camera is the way to go - if the JVC is up to it.

Dave

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You could always buy the Canapus, do all your archiving, then go to ebay
    - to sell it! :thumbsup:

5. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The JVC does have av-in. That is a relief.

Dave

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    With a bit of luck the JVC will be able to pass the analogue video through without the need to copy to a DV tape. This has the advantage of leass wear on the DV heads, and saves time. However some cams will only record to tape, so you will need to experiment to see how your cam works.

If you can do a direct to PC capture then you need to go into the editing software and disable device control. Also make sure there is no DV tape in the JVC. Then its just a matter of pressing play on the analogue cam and record within the software.

Good luck,
    Mark.

7. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello again,

The JVC (which is a GR-DX95EK) can do this and I can capture video without a tape in the camera.

However I am having another problem now. No sound on the capture.

In fact there is no sound if I capture to tape in the JVC.

I have a lead that came with the JVC that has various plugs on the end to go into the analogue source. In this case a camera (a Samsung VP-W90).

The Samsung is a hi-8 camera so has an S-Video socket on the back. My lead has an S-video plug on it.

If I connect the two together via s-video the JVC captures the video fine but no sound track comes with it.

I can use the JVC to capture digital video directly to the PC via fire-wire with sound or just capture a mini-dv tape from the JVC with sound so it is not a PC configuration problem or problem between the JVC and the PC.

What I can't do is get the sound from the Samsung into the JVC either on to tape or passed through to the PC.

The Samsung is a mono camera in that apart from the s-video socket it has a mini-jack socket and a lead that has a mini jack plug for the camera that has yellow (video) and a white (sound) phono type plugs on the other end for connection to a TV. If I connect to a TV then the video plays with sound.

I don't suppose you have any idea why I am not getting any sound captured via s-video or any other suggestions for getting the video with sound out of the Samsung and into the JVC?

Do I need a different lead to connect the two? I am assuming the plug and socket at the JVC end of my lead are propriety.

Dave

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you are connecting just the S-Video lead it doesn't carry sound. You have to connect the white RCA lead for audio as well.

9. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That would explain the lack of sound !!

However the video-in on the JVC is one socket. There isn't a separate line in. So I am assuming the JVC cable used to connect an external deck must carry video and sound in some way.

This cable has lots of plugs on the analogue end. s-video, three composite phono type plugs (yellow, red, white) and a mini-jack plug.

So if the video is coming in over the s-video, the question is (I assume) how to get the sound in down one of the other connectors available on that lead?

The Samsung has two ways to output video. The s-video socket and a mini jack socket that uses a cable terminated in yellow and white composite plugs.

I did try connecting via s-video and also inserting the mini jack plug (from the JVC cable) into the mini jack socket on the Samsung but this still didn't give any sound capture.

So should I try using a coupler like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1017&doy=21m10&QV=P

to connect the two white phono plugs on each lead?

Or is there a different way I should be using to get the sound in when using the s-video connector - for example a line in connection directly to the PC's mic input?

Thanks,

Dave

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, you do need to get a phono coupler (as in your link) to connect the 2 phono audio leads together to get sound into the JVC and on to the PC.

Mark.

11. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Great :smashin: I will pick one up on the way home today and let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all who replied.

Dave

12. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to let everyone know who replied to my questions, it is all working now and I am busy archiving and editing my old 8mm videos :smashin:

Dave