1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archive problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by hwinterton, Dec 28, 2004.

1. hwinterton

hwinterton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be having problems archiving my edited movie. I have a Sony DCR TRV265 camcorder, Dell Latitude D600 laptop with cheap Firewire card & lead. I can capture my footage and edit with Studio version 7.15. I can write to SVCD (external Firewire DVD RW on order) but I'm struggling to then re-write my edited project back to my camcorder Digital 8 tapes for archive. Pinnacle states "File loaded, Click the Play button on the player window to output your video to tape". However, when I click Play the player window runs quite slow, the camcorder starts to records but it's timecode seconds seems to run much faster than Pinnacle. I get occasional 'shots' of my edited movie on tape but the remainder is blue screen. What am I doing wrong?

When my DVD RW arrives, will I be able to archive to DVD (ie. move the *.avi file as a backup rather than converting to MPEG to view).

Many thanks

2. hwinterton

hwinterton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've since downloaded the Ulead 30 day trial and again whilst I can edit avi files I can't export them to DV tape, I just get a blue screen. I've been into Device Manager on my laptop and DMA is already enabled. My questions are:-

1. What other tweaks are there I can do to my laptop to try and enable export back to my camcorder tapes.

2. Would the Sony Vegas software work better (as it's a Sony Digital 8 camcorder)?

3. Would saving my avi files to DVD serve as a compromise archive? My 30GB hard drive is rapidly filling!!

4. How can I get my edited footage to VHS tape for the members of my family who don't have modern technology? I believe I have an S-video port on the side of my laptop. Could this be plugged into my TV for playback and then videoed?

Sorry for the amount of questions but I'd really appreciate some help. :confused:

Many thanks

Heather

3. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are getting a DVD R/W then you will be able to create full bandwidth DVDs that you can play back on any DVD player, provided that you have the right DV mastering software (something like Nero 6).
    Much better than copying back to DV tape in my opinion.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well a few things:

Does your camcorder have DV-in enabled. If this feature is not specifically mentioned in the manual then you can assume it is not and therefore you can't write files back to the DV tape.

If you don't have DV-in on the camcorder then no software will help.

AVI files are very big! 4 minutes of video will be approx 1Gb. A DVD is 4.7Gb and therefore you will only get about 17 minutes of video onto a DVD as AVI.

S-Video out of the laptop will not work in a standard VHS video as you will only get a B&W picture. You could create a DVD (once the recorder has arrived) and then record from your DVD player to VCR.

bignairy, sorry to disagree with you again but archiveing to DVD is not a good idea. The lifespan of a DVD can be very short as they are easily damaged and thats not to mention the probelms of DVD rot! Archiveing back to DV tape is the best way as you have an uncompressed origional that just needs to be copied back to the PC and then authored to create a new DVD. You can also re-edit the footage if required without any loss of quality, this can't be done from the compressed MPEG-2 files on a DVD - well not with frame accurate edits.

Mark.

5. hwinterton

hwinterton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I specifically chose the TRV 265 rather than the TRV 255 as it had DV-in so there must be something on the laptop somewhere I need to tweak. I've chosen the "LaCie d2 DVD±RW Double Layer Drive can be used to store nearly twice as much data as current DVD media - 8.5GB on a single-sided DVD disk" so I'm hoping to be able to store my 29 mins of Xmas day edited footage to one DVD in avi format (6.5GB).

If anyone has any other clues/tweaks for output to DV tape I'd be most grateful. :lease:

Cheers

Heather