Archive from Sky+ = Panny / Phillips or HTPC ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karl, Mar 20, 2003.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I`m interested in archiving stuff off Sky+ to DVD.

I am considering the Panasonic E-50 for £380 including delivery. It has variable bit rate to maximise quality for the length of the given programme. Progressive scan output was promised but did not materialise on UK models.

I also saw a PC DVD-R / DVD-RAM drive for £150 (PC world - Mirror) sounds cheap & nasty but it might allow recording on the E-50 on a RAM disc and editing on the PC for finalising on a DVD-R.

I would also consider a capure card type solution to the PC - particularly if this could record the DD5.1 movies.

The other option is a Phillips 880 recorder which will recrord on DVD+RW which will play on most DVD players. So I could record a film or a series and give it to my parents etc but when they have finished with it I can re-use the disc rather than it being written once.

As you can see I am torn ?

Any views ?

Thanks

Karl

2. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here we go again :rotfl:
    Seriously the philips Vs panny debate has and still is being done to death on this forum, do a search for all the views.
    Yes you can record onto Ram with the panny and then use a pc to author but it's not straight foreward again do a search, here will help also http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/default.asp Personally I find it easier to record onto Ram on my E30, edit and then dub back via my RA82.
    Regards
    Paul

3. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - a useful link - looking into it.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are recording onto SKY+ first then recording onto -RAM then onto -R in most cases is pretty pointless

With the time it takes you to edit you may as well just pause and edit out the ads during playback

you might want to consider the HS2 if you can afford it, makes more sense then buying another dvd player

long term the PC route may be the best option although it sounds far more complex at least you can put in some different menus

I would recommend getting a multiregion you can get a multiregion E30 for the same price as an E50 and from what I can tell they are the same, except for some firewire thing, I think.

The Panny vs Philips has been done to death