Archive 81 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Thank you for the review. I must admit I'm halfway through eps 5 and finding it a hard watch but its just about keeping me interested and reading other comments around the forum it seems to be worth the wait...

Finished today 6/10

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree with this review. I came away from this, having watched all of it across two days with a feeling of eh... That's a shame.

All the elements are there for something truly creepy, brilliant and memorable, but the direction simply isn't up to snuff, and as is so frequently the case where a weak director or directors are involved, it's rare to see the best being teased out of the available acting talent.

I would also agree that it shows too much, especially towards the end. And that it all feels a bit too neat and tidy the way it's all tied up. A 7/10 is fair. It kept me watching to the end, but ultimately left me disappointed by the feeling of being just a few steps from brilliance.

Thanks for the review. I’ve only watched the first episode but was disheartened when something that looked like a creature from an early episode of The X Files appeared on a monitor, which looked so cheap compared to the very effective style of the rest of it. Shame to hear it’s not a classic as I was very impressed by the performances from the two main characters

I was not sure what to expect from Archive 81, I had not watched any trailers, but over half way through episode one I found myself compelled to watch much like Dan Turner (Mamoudou Athie).
The show definitely is a slow burn but the malevolent darkness of the story just creeps up on you and sucks you in even though as horror features go most of the screenplay has been done before including the often used hazy video images.
I watch shows and judge them on entertainment value mostly, I'm not usually fussed about lack of originality if the story keeps me interested and Archive 81 does keep that interest, at least for me anyway, perhaps the choice of actors helped, no one is hamming things up too much,which can happen in some horror genres.
I like Dina Shihabi who is an interesting find, I hope Netflix gives her some more roles.
My score is: 7 out of 10.

I got to half of e3 and just couldn't take it anymore.. I was bored to death.. Lead is so wooden and boring to watch he is lulling me to sleep.
I HATE found footage films with a passion and this might be one of the reasons i just couldn't get into this show.

Three episodes in and gripping but starting to think this may go a bit OTT and leave dangling.

Will finish it off but expect to be a let down before the end.

I got to half of e3 and just couldn't take it anymore.. I was bored to death.. Lead is so wooden and boring to watch he is lulling me to sleep.
I HATE found footage films with a passion and this might be one of the reasons i just couldn't get into this show.
Ya think?

I do agree though that the male lead doesn't have a great deal of charisma, he does display more emotion in later episodes, but overall isn't particularly good. The female lead is better, but her character gets irritating.

Overall pretty good premise, kept me drawn in, but ultimately it felt stretched and lacking in original ideas; 6/10 for me.

As an aside I would recommend the French mini series Beyond the Walls in the "creepy house/building" genre (contains no found footage!).

My Mrs finished it last night but I've got to watch the last 2 episodes again because I fell asleep for two hours!
Mister personality is so devoid of acting talent but melody is pretty decent and I liked annabelle too.

2/10. sh*te.

Ya think?

I do agree though that the male lead doesn't have a great deal of charisma, he does display more emotion in later episodes, but overall isn't particularly good. The female lead is better, but her character gets irritating.

Overall pretty good premise, kept me drawn in, but ultimately it felt stretched and lacking in original ideas; 6/10 for me.

As an aside I would recommend the French mini series Beyond the Walls in the "creepy house/building" genre (contains no found footage!).
I can't find this on Netflix or amazon

I thought it was decent, but kind of ended when it started to genuinely make some progress. 6/10.

I can't find this on Netflix or amazon
It's on the Shudder channel on Amazon.
i.e. to watch it legitimately you need to subscribe to that channel

Try this link.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i saw it on NEtflix :-/

7 for me, just. a little different to the norm and i will watch another series there is one.

I thought it started well and the first half of the series was good, but then it went downhill and I'd kind of lost interest by the end. Dina Shihabi is a good find as Melody though.

I found this series very captivating and thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

There was just enough spookiness, but not too much.

If you are interested in series about supernatural, magic and other realities - I believe that you are going to like it.

Here's an interesting interview with showrunner Rebecca Sonnenshine (don't read it if you haven't finished watching the series - it contains spoilers):

Questions about that shocking finale and the show's future

I'm looking forward to the next season.

Good review Tom. I'm up to episode 7 and I have enjoyed it for the slow burn that it is but it there have been a few moments where I feel it could have been better and that some elements of the story feel a bit forced or convenient.

It's at its best when it reveals secrets organically through the watching of the tapes and the general exploration of the buildings by both of them.

I tend to gravitate towards shows that have mystery, horror and supernatural/occult themes so this has all my boxes ticked but it's not perfect.

For me Midnight Mass has been the best horror genre show on Netflix recently as I thoroughly enjoyed that and this doesn't quite reach the same level. It does have some creepy moments and atmosphere but it lacks character development. I am interested to see where it goes in the end.

Good review Tom. I'm up to episode 7 and I have enjoyed it for the slow burn that it is but it there have been a few moments where I feel it could have been better and that some elements of the story feel a bit forced or convenient.

It's at its best when it reveals secrets organically through the watching of the tapes and the general exploration of the buildings by both of them.

I tend to gravitate towards shows that have mystery, horror and supernatural/occult themes so this has all my boxes ticked but it's not perfect.

For me Midnight Mass has been the best horror genre show on Netflix recently as I thoroughly enjoyed that and this doesn't quite reach the same level. It does have some creepy moments and atmosphere but it lacks character development. I am interested to see where it goes in the end.
Have you watched feria on Netflix. Sounds right up your alley.

No, but I'll look out for it. Thanks.
'Feria: The Darkest Light' has recently sneaked itself into Netflix's February new show list, the voyeuristic cultist themes that feature in this story will obviously appeal to some male viewers and will probably make up for the low key horror the series features.

I watched it over the weekend and yes it's a slow burner but I enjoyed - 7/10 is pretty fair.

Finished Feria, I think I'd give it a 5. Bit of a missed opportunity but they've left it open for another series.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom