Arcam + "X" for B&W's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Angioguy, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Angioguy

Angioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to find out if the AVR-300 can be connected to a separate power amplifier. I don't think the 100 wpc will be enough to drive B&W 803S or D's that I'm planning on using for my mains in a 5.1 system. The Arcam owner's manual says that whatever I use must have a gain of 31 dB--like the AVR-300, otherwise the bass and treble will be unbalanced. The bi-amping wiring diagram, has the AVR-300 controlling the high frequencies and the second amp controlling the low frequencies for each speaker.

Not sure I understand this.

I'm looking at using a Krell, Levinson, Classe, Mcintosh, B&K, etc for driving the B&W's, using the AVR-300 for the center and rears, the preamp too.... Is this an impossible scheme? I love my AVR-300 and want to keep it as the heart of my HT system. All I (think) I need is the extra gusto to optimize the B&W's potential.

Could anyone recommend a specific brand and model # that would comply with the 31 dB and do the job? :eek:

2. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have my 300 connected to an Anthem MCA50 (5 channel) using 3 channels L,R,C and it works. It took 5 minutes or less to connect and it was simple; 3 cables from the pre outs to the amp and plug the speakers into the amp and turn it on after you connect it. I didn't even have to change the output levels on the 300.

3. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best way to go! I had a three channel P35 powering my front speakers. All you need to do is run three cables from your pre-outs on the AVR300 into the inputs on your power amp. You need to look at the gain on your proposed power amp as Arcams are 31db. If they match then all should be OK. Which you run for HF and LF is up tp you. I have biamp speakers so the P35 ran all three LFs

4. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are going to get that high end an amp, forget the bi-amping route and use just those amps to dive the speakers (biwire if you must). That way you don't have to worry about the gain. Personally I'd get a pair of Nuforce Ref 9s (~1200 each) which should be able to handle 803s/d with ease. No need to fuss with bi-amping and gain settings.

5. Angioguy

Angioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Just heard the 803S with the McIntosh MC-252 power amp-- the combo sounded sweet. Would connecting the Mc thru the Arcam AVR-300 to drive the 803 mains pose any sort of hardware conflict on the system? I'd like to retain the Arcam's preamp abilities and use the same to drive the center and rear channels.

Is 3-4% off msrp a reasonable discount on about $12K worth of gear?