Arcam wannabe newbie

infinitydreams

Hi

I was looking at buying a new AV amp probably a Pioneer for between 1k and 1.5k but was put of initially by negative comments relating to matching it with the speakers I'm about to get which are either B&W 684's and 600 series center or FOCAL 716 and FOCAL center.

I love the look of the AVR600 but have heard that a AVR500 is soon to be released and that might sit better with my budget of max 2k.

I am really after an amp that producers great movie and 2 channel music sound so :

Is the Arcam right for me?
Would it match either of my speaker choices?
I see the old AVR350 didn't do video upscaling, how is it done then? would the AVR500 be the same? I am looking at running a project with this equipment.

Can Power Amps etc be added onto the AVR600 or AVR500 to give better sound when the budget/missus allows?

Baaz

Standard Member
Hi :)

I was looking at buying a new AV amp probably a Pioneer for between 1k and 1.5k but was put of initially by negative comments relating to matching it with the speakers I'm about to get which are either B&W 684's and 600 series center or FOCAL 716 and FOCAL center.

I love the look of the AVR600 but have heard that a AVR500 is soon to be released and that might sit better with my budget of max 2k.
I believe the AVR600 is £3500 and the AVR500 is £2500 so slightly over your budget.

I am really after an amp that producers great movie and 2 channel music sound so :

Is the Arcam right for me?
Would it match either of my speaker choices?
I see the old AVR350 didn't do video upscaling, how is it done then? would the AVR500 be the same? I am looking at running a project with this equipment.
Arcam is always right :rolleyes:
I've never listened to the Focals but I use the AVR600 with my B&W 804S speakers and I think the sound is awesome.

The AVR350 only came with a built in HDMI switch, no video processing fo the HDMI inputs at all if I recall correctly. And it does definately do NOT process the new HD sound codecs.

Can Power Amps etc be added onto the AVR600 or AVR500 to give better sound when the budget/missus allows?
Power amps can be added to the AVR600, not the AVR500 based on published pictures of the unit's back side.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would not worry about upscaling, let your TV do that. What you will want is upconversion and I would have thought the 500 would do this but need to check specs when released.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom