arcam vs pioneer - scaling

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dexter, Jun 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that both the Arcam dv79 and Pioneer dv868 have HDMI. However, the arcam seems to output 480p/576p whereas the Pioneer has a scaler that will output 720p or 1080i. Does this mean that, with a suitable display, the Pioneer's picture will be "better"?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    It very much depends upon the resolution of the display you are using and of the quality of the scaler built into the display if there is one. Using a Sim2 Domino 20 for example a PAL 576 line progressive picture would require no scaling at all for the DLP chip to display a picture and an NTSC 480 line progressive picture would require slight upscaling and it could be argued that the Faroudja Deinterlacer/Scaler built into the Projector would do a better job at this than the scaler built into the Pioneer 868. Having a player than can upscale the picture to a higher resolution than the display is capable of handling is not necessarily a good thing as the image will have to be downscaled again in the display device and it is my belief that any processing that is surplus to requirement will result in a poorer image. I would recommend you pop into your local dealer for a demonstration of the two players against each other. If they do not have a similar display device to what you intend using it with then you may be able to take either or both units home for a trial there.