1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam vs Musical Fidelity Sound, Discuss!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by OneDesi, Jul 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi

I've recently had the pleasure of listening to an Arcam Solo vs my musical fidleity X150/Xray V3 and I have to admit I am impressed with the Solo (will keep listening to see what the differences are).

This led me to question why I liked MF over other brands and was hoping you Arcam afficionados could describe the Arcam sound (I know I should go dem put peoples experiences are very valuable info. sources).

I find product reviews dont compare with other like for like products and if I am to seriously think about selling the MF stuff and change then I coudl also do with some guidance on what kind of Arcam product I should go for. I have seen the FMC CD23 go for around £500 but also seen the DV27 go for similar money. Is there much between the DVD and CD players for 2 channel.

One shopowner described MF as being Bright and Arcam as Neutral - what does this mean, does it mean Arcam is boring?

Any advice would be most welcome!

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Can I just first say that the Arcam Solo is not in any way indicative of the "normal" Arcam sound. I wouod describe the Solo is being a wee bit on the bright side compared to most offerings from Arcam.

As for the other kit, well I am a big fan of Arcam players, for both DVD and CD, whereas I have always found the MF cd players a bit ropey on the build quality side, particularly when it comes to the cd tray which always seesm to be loose. The sound is also a bit coarse at times. As for amplification, the FMJ stuff is pretty good although can still sound a touch muted. I definitely prefer MF amplification, particularly as it give me the power and current delivery that my speakers demand. The closest I have heard to my A5 power amp is the FMJ P1 monoblocks and they cost £700 more and still don't offer the same level of control that my A5 offers.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    gsrai – why are you considering selling the X150/Xray V3? It takes up as much room as the Arcam Solo, so I wouldn’t imagine you’re doing it for more space?

I am running a X-80 with Cyrus CD8 and am very happy with it.

4. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Space wise it frees up a whole section of my living room as I the x-series is in its own dedicated rack with a load of other MF stuff on it (X10V3, Xcans etc.).

I'm also finding that as much as I love the MF sound (lord knows I don't really want to sellup) my kids keep playing with the gear (5 years and 2 years old) and I imagine it would be an expensive repair job if the Xray drawer fell off(!!!).

In terms of sound I've only ever really had MF but know that there are a lot of happy other brand owners so I just want to find out if MF is what I really like or is Arcam a good solution as then I could buy the AVR250/300 and DVD/CD combi that sounds good, takes up little space (a kind of upgrade path).

I think I know the answer will be there is no match for the X150/Xray in a combi set up but you never know unless you ask and demoing all the gear in wolves is quite difficult (Sevenoaks are great but no other dealers with other company gear).

5. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Must admit I was seduced by Crustyloafers discription of the A5 power vs the P1's that in the end, after a listen, I went for one. Have not been disappointed much more control, bass etc. and it is starting to get the best from my inefficient speakers now it is getting run in. It is also handy that you can connect the AVR300 directly too it rather than having to run it through the C30. Also has pairs of posts on the back which makes biwiring a doddle. Still love my Arcam stuff but the A5 power is the business.

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Anyone tried the A5 pre?

Not entirely convinced by my AV8 in two channel mode and the A5 has the advantage of being relatively cheap and has an AV bypass to plug the AV8 into.

Cheers
    Rob

7. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not heard it but like the A5 power amp it had a great writeup in Hi Fi News June 2005.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’ve heard the X-Ray V3 hasn’t got the greatest build quality, especially with the drawer so I can understand where you’re coming from. That’s why I went for a Cyrus CD8! ;)

9. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    How would you describe the Cyrus CD8 sound - is it as bright/detailed as the X-Ray?

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    According to my ears, the detail from both players are very similar – it’s hard to pick between the two. However, in terms of brightness, I feel the Cyrus is slightly brighter. I’ve got some Castle speakers though (which have a warm sound) which balances it out.