Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

arcam vs cyrus

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dood, Sep 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I currently have denon 3300 AV receiver used as a processor with cyrus straightline and XPA amps which bi-wire my kef Q55.2 fronts.

I am considering changing the cyruses for an arcam delta 290, about the same vintage. The main advantages are that the arcam is remote controllable, and has processor input (convenient when switching from CD to AV and back).

My concerns are will there be a degradation in quality (no longer bi-amped) and will the power handling be OK (cyruses are 50 W per channel each vs arcams 75 W)

Off course I need to listen but I thought your comments would be helpful.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think you will notice a difference in tonal balance(to my ears,the Arcams sound "drier" than Cyrus amps which tend to have a warmer sound)but I also think you may find the extra power useful...this should easily offset the lack of biamping,as you can still biwire.
    Many of us,myself included,don't think biamping is really worth it unless you're using an active system,or the power amps you have are run sufficiently near their limits to make it a good idea.
    Biwiring also is a contentious issue,with some speakers benefiting immensely,and others not at all.....you'd have to try that one.