Arcam Upgrade Advice Needed

X6TUS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have had my Arcam Alpha 10 + DAVE, Arcam Alpha 10 P, and Arcam Alpha 10 P/3 and a Arcam DV88 for a few years now and I am starting to consider upgrading (not because I need to but just because I am one of those upgrade freaks!).

The system works very well and I have no complaints apart from that it doesn't support some of the latest Dolby decoding standards.

I currently have my system set-up with the Arcam Alpha 10 + DAVE and Alpha 10 P bi-amping my front stereo speakers. Then I have my surrounds and centres powered off the Alpha 10 P/3.

I am thinking of upgrading to the FMJ AV8 + FMJ P8 along with the new FMJ DV29A.

What I am want to know is can I still bi-amp my front stereo speakers and have the surrounds and centre too all power from the AV8/P7 ? I understand the P7 is like 7 separate amps in itself or am I wrong?

Also I assume if I do this then I obviously can't make use of the Dolby 6 or 7 channel speaker decoding formats as I would still only be able to support 5 speakers. I am right or wrong here?

And finally has anyone taken this upgrade route (from Alpha 10 -> AV8+P7)? Did you notice an improvement? Is it worth it?

Many thanks,
Gareth.

Hi,

I had exactly the same system as yours when I upgraded to the AV8 + P7 combination.

What I am want to know is can I still bi-amp my front stereo speakers and have the surrounds and centre too all power from the AV8/P7 ? I understand the P7 is like 7 separate amps in itself or am I wrong?
This is exactly what I have done. I have interlinked two of the P7 channels together to bi-amp my front speakers (using four channels in total), leaving the remaining three channels to handle the centre and rear channels.

Also I assume if I do this then I obviously can't make use of the Dolby 6 or 7 channel speaker decoding formats as I would still only be able to support 5 speakers. I am right or wrong here?
Correct, by bi-amping the front speakers you are restricting yourself to the 5 channel formats.

And finally has anyone taken this upgrade route (from Alpha 10 -> AV8+P7)? Did you notice an improvement? Is it worth it?
The sound is not identical but there is definately an improvement in bass handling and transparency, and as the rating of the amp is increased from 100W to 200W, you have the ability to drive the loudspeakers to higher volumes. However as I also changed my CD player and my DVD player at the same time, it is difficult to pin down the exact source of the improvement.

Arcam are currently upgrading their line-up and will be releasing their DiVA AVP700 and P1000 in the next couple of months, which feature HDMI inputs amounst other things. Now although the P700 and P1000 are supposed to be below the AV8 / P7 combination you may wish to hold back on the AV8 and P7 until we see what Arcam and going to do with these. Although of course, you may end up never buying anything as there is always something better on the horizon.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom