Quantcast

Arcam UDP411 Blu-ray Player Review

Damian1978

Another great review. Excellent player too. Just barter if buying :)

RickyDeg

Terrific review! It's just, with 4K/UHD Blu-ray players coming up soon I would think investing this kind of money right now on a plain Blu-ray machine might be a bit... unwise.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I agree Ricky. I was on the brink of ordering a newer Oppo player for one that has a built in audio delay (for when I use analogue outputs). Thinking about how soon I might be able to buy a (non Oppo as they will be late to the party by all accounts) 4K player, then it's hard to justify even £500 for player now, let alone what this Arcam goes for.

Apart from keeping it all in one box, I'd be inclined to buy a budget BluRay player if I had to buy a new one today and a separate CD player. I had to virtually give my old Arcam CD73 (and 'better' models weren't going for much more anyway) away a while back, so it's not like you'd pay a lot for one either.

RickyDeg

^ Yeah! Smart move! If one can wait, my suggestion would be to do so for sure. That's not to say this beautiful Arcam ain't a very fine machine, because I trust the reviewer, but hopefully the up-coming 4K/UHD Blu-ray players will be of adequate quality so one might just as well wait. I was actually keeping an eye on Pioneer's tank BDP-LX88 but that one too is a load of cash and it's just not the right timing until we know more about what's on the horizon.

I'm hoping there will be at least a handful of models out one year from now. I'm a little concerned that Oppo have said "late 2016/early 2017" for theirs, but I'm certain they have their reasons. It did take a while before current Blu-ray machine tech became as 'flawless' as it is today. I'm gonna try be optimistic in my thinking and hope it won't be too many troublesome First Gen issues.

Damian1978

I agre its not cheap and I auditioned it against the LX88 and preferred the Arcam for audio (2ch).

To me it beats my DV139 for DVD and CD and matched my Denon BD player so I went for it!

toodeep

Feature-wise surely the Cambridge Audio 752BD is the obvious current alternative, and only half the price!

Damian1978

What I briefly heard of it, it didn't sound half as detailed as the UDP

RickyDeg

I agre its not cheap and I auditioned it against the LX88 and preferred the Arcam for audio (2ch).

To me it beats my DV139 for DVD and CD and matched my Denon BD player so I went for it!
Since you also have the Arcam AVR750 I'm not surprised you wanted this matching player. I'm sure they must complement each other well. The thing I find odd is that Arcam ignored incorporating balanced XLR inputs on the AVR750 to combine with the UDP411 for stereo purposes. Not even the AV950 processor has them. Only their latest stereo amp.

Then again, my new fully balanced NAD M17 processor doesn't have em either :(

mainaman

I am surprised that there are still customers for expensive BD spinners,you are paying 1000+ pounds for its stereo performance.You can buy a great compact DAC for much less and like many said it will be obsolete in months when the first real 4k players hit the market.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Feature-wise surely the Cambridge Audio 752BD is the obvious current alternative, and only half the price!
That player certainly is another alternative but it doesn't have balanced XLR outputs which the Oppo BDP-105 does, which is why I suggested it was the more appropriate alternative. I haven't actually reviewed the 752BD but I have tested the 751BD and that was an impressive player - Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player Review | AVForums

Flo2984

Novice Member
Hello,

I am absolutely disappointed of the Oppo 105 stereo performance! It sounds harsh, digital, not smooth, not relaxed, I think it is because of the bad sabre dac and an even worse implementation of it.

Will the Arcam UDP411 sound much better or do I need an Electrocompanet EMP3?

Anyone tried all of them?

Br
Flo

Damian1978

Hi.

Suprised you found it harsh. Was that from new out of the box as I've heard it sounds better with a good few hours running in.

The UDP is very detailed and musical. It is a tad more forward sounding than the DV139 and I and a friend personally preferred it over the Pioneer BDPLX88 for CD

Flo2984

Novice Member
No its now around 1 year old, I used it only for BD, but now I am gonna test if udp411 or emp3 can beat my cd player and streamers.

dazmb

Hello,

I am absolutely disappointed of the Oppo 105 stereo performance! It sounds harsh, digital, not smooth, not relaxed, I think it is because of the bad sabre dac and an even worse implementation of it.

Will the Arcam UDP411 sound much better or do I need an Electrocompanet EMP3?

Anyone tried all of them?

Br
Flo
I concur, the multi - multi 5 star award winning Oppo 105 revered as an audiophile giant by HiFi and AV reviewers the world over with it's state of the art Sabre DACS (as used in many other great products), implemented in the 105 as to have almost unmeasurable jitter is an absolute crapper of a product :rotfl:

You don't need the UDP411 mate, you need this:

And I speak as a former Arcam DV139 owner - and the 105 comfortably walks over that for SQ, so I don't think the UDP411 will be any better than the 105 based on Damien's 411 comparison v his DV139. I'd say they were both as fine stereo BD universal players as you can buy short of shelling out £3k+ for the Primare BD32.

Last edited:

Damian1978

Hmmmmm.....can't really comment much without hearing one but trust me it was my next step if I couldn't resolve my issues.

There are a few hidden features in this player. Not sure if they will ultimately stay but the current "30" firmware does offer a 2D to 3D mode if you press Options along with bitrate and time elapsed etc.

If you press Audio whilst listening to a CD you can extract to MP3/FLAC etc via whatever is connected to the USB port.

Finally....it supports WIFI Direct on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S for streaming and the Allcast app on Android as well as the share functions vis the various YouTube apps!

Flo2984

Novice Member
Daz, I am sorry for you in You think an Oppo 105 Sounds good, so you Never have heared true Stereo. Concerning the 5 Star reviews, why should Then anbody buy a primare, emp3, playbackdesigns, etc...they are just bought by advertising...

dazmb

Not as sorry as I am for you needing your hearing tested! Come out on this thread and tell AVF's own reviewer of the Oppo 105 that his comments are wrong. Go on, I dare you..... Let me remind you of what he said:

"with the BDP-105EU delivering a phenomenal analogue audio performance. The analogue stereo from CDs, HDCDs and SACDs was breath-taking"

If that is made up and not true then clearly his comments can't be trusted about the 411 either can it, and they too must also be wrong and worthless? You can't have it both ways thinking AVF's postive review of the 411 is correct and the 105's is wrong. As for the dozens of 5* reviews being wrong, please spare us the paid advertising conspiracy theory cr*p. That is such a tired line to trot out to defend your stance. The fact that you say that shows your ignorance. Oppo being primarily a web based sales company have paid for far less advertising than almost any of the major AV companies - word of mouth on forums and positive feedback is the way they have made traction in the universal player market.

And no, you are correct again I have not heard any true stereo buddy. You are the only person around here to know what great sounding true stereo is.... jeeesh :rolleyes: It must be your special ears again... Absolutely none of these players below that I have owned sounded any good at all in stereo output - every one was a complete total 100% stinker in audio quality:
Nad T512
Limit 800SE(Cyrus Tuned)
Arcam DV78
Arcam DV79
Arcam DV135
Arcam DV139
Oppo 105
:D:facepalm::censored::laugh: If only we all had your special golden ears Flo.

I am sure the Arcam 411 sounds very fine but different to the Oppo - different being the key word. My NAD 512 had a Burr Brown DAC in it like the 411 and it sounded different to the Cyrus tweaked Limit, just as that sounded different to the string of Arcam players with Wolfson DAC's in them. If you don't like the way the Oppo and it's Sabre DAC sounds then fine that is your personal sonic preference. But please cut out the unqualified personal opinion you seem to be stating as fact - it's utter garbage and just humiliates you on a mature forum with knowledgable (and thankfully experienced enough to know better) people on it.

Bottom line: The Oppo is a fantasic sounding player in all ways. Having had the above list of players I am qualified to judge what is good and bad. The Oppo's sonic neutrality, PRAT and ability to dig out very fine detail marks it out as a very special audio performer.

Last edited:

Damian1978

Come on guys.

Like you say someone may not like Oppo's sound signature.

IIRC didn't a few BDP103s have a weird DAC issue that affected a small batch?

May have been on a thread in here.

End of the day take it with you or get one on a home demo to compare.

You may miss the Oppo's features and build though.

Flo2984

Novice Member
You simply cannot compare an BDP like Oppo with a real Stereoplayer e.g. in the Test of the German "Stereoplay" the Oppo has received 55 points for analog stereo, this is as much as any 500€ CDP at the lower bottom of the list. So if you want to belief, here you can!

Additionally the Sabre DAC is absolutely worse technically compared to the BB Series!
Additionally the Voltage Supply of the Sabre DAC inside the Oppo is really bad, to much ripple on this voltage, so also from engineering side of view this gear is not as good as everybody is thinking due to the viral advertising.

So go and wash your ears or buy better speakers or be happy not needing to spend more money for some real stuff :)

BR
Flo

Flo2984

Novice Member
Just checked your gear, these are all DVD/BD Players, so you indeed never had a real stereo equipment, I am sorry again...

I will give the UDP411 a visit at munich's high end convention, and the ec emp3, at least this one gathered 74% in the "Stereo" Test (if we want to beliefe) this would be coparable to a 2500€ CDP, maybe that's good enough...but they are using a 12 year old cirrus DAC, also not state of the art!

The last solution would be to connect a seperate DAC behind the Oppo via SPDIF, maybe a NAD M51 or even better...open end of possibillities :)

Damian1978

Well it would be nice to see what you think of the UDP as its Arcam's flagship source now (even over there new CDS27.....which is the same player minus video section if you ask me).

Just keep it civil chaps :)

dazmb

Mod Comment: This post has been edited. Keep your personal comments to yourself please.
Thanks

The Cirrus DAC in the Oppo is not 13 years old either. It may have a lineage of that age, but in the Oppo the DAC variant is not one that was released 13 years ago! Do some research before putting a post out. If you are so dismissive of BDP /DVD players, and have a distinct belief that they do not deliver your precious true stereo why in the name of gods are you interested in the 411? Isn't that a BDP player? It must be pretty crap then too by your views right? Not misquoting you there at all am I.... "these are all DVD/BD Players, so you indeed never had a real stereo equipment"

Damien - your new 411 is rubbish according to Flo as it is a BDP player and therefore not "real stereo equipment". Sorry mate, but Flo knows best. We must bow to his superior views:)

Of course, we (and all normal audio lovers) know that there is absolutely no difference in concept between a transport that only does redbook and one that can do other formats too, only the complexity of making the quality hardware (re jitter / power to circuits etc) meet the required cleanliness for audio. Your arguments are 100% nonsensical.

You dismiss my gear, all of which is 5* rated in this country regardless of what the bloody Germans say. Fair enough. I will email Cyrus to confirm to them that the fountain of all knowledge on all things true stereo (that's you Flo btw) doesn't believe that they can make a universal player have great stereo. I am sure they will be in touch with you very shortly to find out how they can improve their products. :rotfl: ;) Wait by the phone Flo... if it rings it will be the chief technician from Cyrus or Arcam or maybe Oppo. You can put them right on where they went wrong with their products.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian1978

Ahhh no. I thought it was good

Flo2984

Novice Member
Oh Dazmb, usually I wouldn´t waste my time replying to such an aggressive guy like you, as you started this war with your post from May 7th. And now, as you don´t have any more good arguments you start dismissing my nationality, how dingy!

But anyway I want to inform the other pretty normal and friendly guys in this board about my latest findings:

# I was interested in the UPD411, as it is the only BDP with an BurrBrown DAC, even the best in my eyes the PCM1794.

# I´ve checked a lot of equipment at the Munich high end show and even the Primare BD32 doesn´t perform well in CD quality (only “OK”). Unfortunately the UPD411 was not present to hear, they maybe know why…

# At the Arcam exhibition it was possible to hear the D33 DAC fed by the latest CD-Player as a transport, and my personal feeling was that this is a really good DAC (also with BB chips, even 2 of them). So if I hadn´t found a different solution I would have tried this one next.

Maybe this information will help some true audiophiles out there…

BR
Flo

@dazmb; you really should visit a dealer having some stereo equipment on stock if you are interested in hearing music, otherwise you are always driving with your Vauxhall Insignia Wagon on the race track, and that is not how it´s meant to be…

Trending threads

Latest News

Britbox now available on LG smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media TV customers get 18 free channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 6th April 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors