1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARCAM through what ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RIGGER553, Sep 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. RIGGER553

RIGGER553

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

First time, so be gentle !

I have an ARCAM alpha set up
    alpha 7 CD and 8R Amp, at the moment i am using MISSION 702e which i bought at the time (6 years ago ?!) and now... well i still love my ARCAM but i am sure the sound could be improved with better speakers.

They would have to be Floorstanders.

ANY SUGGESTIONS for a belting set ? I am also running it through QED silver Anniversary Cable.

Cable & Speaker upgrade suggestions VERY welcome..

Thanks.

SD

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most setups could be improved with better speakers but we could do with knowing your maximum budget, approximate room size and what you predominately listen to.

I assume that you are talking about stereo and not an AV setup

3. RIGGER553

RIGGER553

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, yes HI-FI set up.

It is a fairly large living room, and i have a budget of about £300

I listen to all sorts, mainly rock, singer/songwriter stuff.

Having had MISSIONS albeit a lower budget one, i am keen to try something else if it is superior.

HELP MOI !

Steve

4. RIGGER553

RIGGER553

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still hoping for some guidance thorough the speaker world.... with £300 budget... Don't let me get fleeced !

Need some "wow! for the money" speakers.

SD :lease:

5. petercom

petercom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, your system could be improved with better speakers, but it's tough getting something a lot better than the 702e for £300. These are very efficient and, considering the limited power of your Arcam, you need to stick to speakers with 87 - 89dB sensitivity, preferably closer to 89dB, if you are not going to be disappointed by the change.
    If you like Missions then you could try the m33, though goodness knows what IAG are doing with Mission production at the moment. I'd rather pick up a pair of m73i secondhand if it was me or stick with what you've got if you're happy with the sound.

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I remember one of the best Arcam Alpha set ups i heard was using Ruark Epilogue speakers(standmounts). Not sure of the current range, but get in touch with your local dealer and they'll be able to help you with floorstanders, or even try the Epilogues, amazing little speakers....they really seemed to work together well. Plus they'll be streets ahead of your Missions in respect of communication and detail.
    Track down a second hand Alpha power amp too, preferably a 9, if not an 8, you'll be amazed at the difference.

7. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    petercom - interesting you mention the m73i. I prefer the m70 speakers over the m30s - nicer design and build quality, as well as better sound. Not sure what the V6x series are like or the m5x series. You could try looking about for the 782s - always fancied a pair of 782SEs myself, but can't afford the cash or the space for them.

8. petercom

petercom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam would be mismatched with 782s which demand a much better and more powerful amp to give their best.

9. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    AE Evo 3 go great with a 7 CD and 8 amp. At least that's what's now on the end of mine.