Bargain Expired Arcam SR250 cheap as chips..?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I seem to remember these being initially £2500?

£1000 now :thumbsup:

Dirac Live stereo amp with Arcams much lauded class G poweramp and plenty of inputs, digital and analogue.

Has to be worth considering for anyone after a new amp, a grand is a steal surely?

Depends on your point of view about dealing with Arcam's flaky software - quite a lot of money for an awful lot of pain.

has been this price at richer for a while as it happens

...still a grand for stereo performance and hdmi switching

has been this price at richer for a while as it happens

...still a grand for stereo performance and hdmi switching

Ah... I thought it was a new thing. RS seem to be claiming that.

Depends on your point of view about dealing with Arcam's flaky software - quite a lot of money for an awful lot of pain.

Is the software mostly HDMI related by any chance?

Ah... I thought it was a new thing. RS seem to be claiming that.

it did come across my radar quite a while ago..... they've 'bumped' it up in their advertising.,,,probably as we're all at home ....trying hard to resist spending cash out of boredom !

think it did get a glowing review on here if i remember rightly

Perfect bit of kit for the lockdown. Hours of fun trying to get it run perfectly.:)

Have to admit though it is a good buy.

The SR250 is absolutely perfect with no software issues, also carries the full Class G amplifier of the AVR850 in two channel format.. The output is actually higher than stated on paper being 125w per channel hence the name SR250.. The Dirac implementation works perfectly (I am a pro Dirac calibrator and Ex Arcam eng)..

The SR250 is absolutely perfect with no software issues, also carries the full Class G amplifier of the AVR850 in two channel format.. The output is actually higher than stated on paper being 125w per channel hence the name SR250.. The Dirac implementation works perfectly (I am a pro Dirac calibrator and Ex Arcam eng)..
Then you obviously havent read this thread

Then you obviously havent read this thread

Are you saying that it doesn't come with Dirac live..?

£1000 for one of those is an amazing bargain.

As an AVR390 owner I’ve had to contend with a few annoying functional ‘quirks’ mainly connecting my network and successfully running Dirac and getting it to play nicely with HDMI ARC, but once it’s set-up it’s as reliable and consistent as pretty much anything else these days and sounds fantastic. I’d be surprised if it was much different with the SR250.

Last edited:

Are you saying you’re not shilling?

Try reading the thread.

Wow ... I am not trying to sell a SR250 - I have used one for the last 3 years and without a single issue - it is switching 4 different HDMI sources, analogue and digital inputs. I am simply sharing my experience with this product in day to day use over this period of time.. I left Arcam after 28 years, 2 years ago and have no affiliation to Arcam and no gain in someone that I do not know selling a SR250. If you are experiencing issues I may be able to offer guidance on optimal set-up.. Does the product have a weakness, YES the media player is a dog by today's standards although with the R&D on this product having started some 6-7 years ago, the world of streaming expectations was in a different place... As you can see I am still in the audio business but I certainly do not deal in secondhand Arcam SR250's.

Last edited:
the media player is a dog by today's standards although with the R&D on this product having started some 6-7 years ago, the world of streaming expectations was in a different place.
Bringing a streaming product to market in 2016 that didn't (still doesn't & never will) fully support gapless playback was shameful. Whether that was sheer incompetence or penny pinching of course we'll never know. But nice to see you willing to backtrack on the "absolutely perfect with no software issues" claim so promptly.

As I've said elsewhere, at the current pricing of some 40% of the original price it's a decent buy. But only because at that price you can ignore all the bits that function poorly or not at all & just treat it as a stereo amp.

I did ask this in the SR250 owners thread too, but in case it gets seen quicker here...
Does anyone know if the SR250 passes audio formats through unchanged to its HDMI outputs, so that decoding can take place downstream, or is the HDMI output downmixed?

Thats a really bargain for this price. Bought one and very pleased with the sound clarity for stereo, effects and scene for movies. Had Denon x2000 before and Arcam is just next league :)

I did ask this in the SR250 owners thread too, but in case it gets seen quicker here...
Does anyone know if the SR250 passes audio formats through unchanged to its HDMI outputs, so that decoding can take place downstream, or is the HDMI output downmixed?

Hi @teacher1000 - did you ever find the answer to this? I've followed up your question in the main SR250 thread too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom