1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam sound on a budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by smallangryboy, May 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've had an Arcam AVR 100, but it's long in the tooth and I want a change. My budget has dropped drastically since those days so I'm looking at £350 - 400 though want something that sounds similar to the Arcam - any suggestions ? I would consider both new and secondhand.

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

What about one of the cheaper NAD receivers or HK receivers.

Or

If you like the Arcam because of its music play back, you could go the route I did and get a slightly cheaper Receiver and a Stereo amp.

Regards

Jimmysil

3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yeah had a look at the HK 2550 and 3550 today, but unfortunately it was hooked up to some appalling speakers so really couldn't get a decent listen.

I'm a bit worried that I might go for something underpowered especially in a 5 speaker / sub system.

Need something musical, like the Arcam but with grunt to drive all 5 of my Monitor Audios (though they are reasonably effecient)

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I'm not suire of their price ... or if they even still have them ... bu Richer Sounds were doing the NAD T741 at a bargain price recently ... this is exactly the same amp as the AVR100 in a different box.

They (NAD) have also just launched the replacement T742 - not sure of what changes they've made to the T741.

I don't think you'll have problems with the NAD driving most speakers at moderate levels.

5. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    if the T741 is the same effectively as the AVR100 why would SAB want one ???

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Because he has said (in another thread) that his AVR100 is broke and wants to replace it with something that has the same sound characteristics but isn't Arcam.

7. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They're not the same... the use the same chassis, but the Arcam uses higher quality parts. It performs much better in stereo than the NAD.

At that price level I suggest you try to find a second hand AVR200... it's much better in stereo than any AV amp up to at least 1500 pounds.

8. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have pretty much the same setup as me and I wanted to know in your opinion what a good sub would be to go with it. As always i am short of cash so need a maybe second hand one but a good one at that. Are Rel the best and will the rel Q50 which you have be too much for the neighbours. Any info would be great as i have never had a sub before.
    i was thinking on looking at ebay.

Nick

9. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to say that i have the AVR200. and that i wasnt sure whether i was limited to sub size as I am not sure what the arcam will power up to.

Nick

10. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm reasonably new to the world of subs, so forgive me if my advice is a little limited.

Most subs, certainly the Rel have a built in power amplifier, so your amp won't actually be powering the sub, simply feeding the audio signal to it.

I'm told that size doesn't matter (as far as subs are concerned anyway!) as even if you get a bigger sub you can use it's volume controls (or the sub volume controls on you ramp) to suit the size of room. Generally the bigger the sub the more extended the bass.

I chose the Q50 I guess as a "starter" to see if a sub was right for me and to introduce myself gradually. The Q series are mainly aimed for Home Cinema and the ST for Hifi. Though if you have a reasonably capable pair of front speakers I guess this is not so much an issue. I bought it secondhand after reviewing several and asking the opinions of the guys here.

I also tried to bid for one on ebay but as usual got gazumped - so good luck on that. However I would recommend trying to listen to one first, with the same setup as your hifi before you buy.

Your welcome to listen to mine (I'm in East London) though I have only plugged it in and have not had chance to properly set it up. Hope this helps. i'm sure the guys on the forum will have much more detailed advice to offer.

11. grainge

grainge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the offer but I live in Stoke on Trent. thanks very informative as I didnt know about the built in amp on the Rel.

Nick

12. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    small angry boy
    If you like the sound of the Arcam avr 100,I've just seen an Arcam avr 200 on ebay for around £400.
    Amate has go the basic Harmonn Kardon which I've listened to and is quite good

My gear:
    tosh 32zd26.sony strva555es,pioneer 747a,philips dvdr880,acoustic energy evo3b,arcam cd62

13. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for the tipoff...

14. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: