• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Arcam Solo v Primare CDI 10

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I wonder can anyone offer advice on these two systems.

I am fairly knowledgable on Home Cinema gear but less so regarding stereo equipment,I have been set a problem by my brother for his 50th Birthday pressie.

He has asked me to sudgest a decent sounding all in one cd/tuner/amp and speakers for a budget of around £1000 excluding speakers I can sort that part.He likes mainly classical music so will be listening to cd and radio 3 mainly.

I was quite surprised when starting to look out for a seperate receiver and cd player to find since my last foray into the stereo market (15yrs ago) as apposed to the multi channel market (buying all the time) receivers were virtually non existant so its either one box or 3 (cd/amp/tuner).

It seems the only quality kit available is the Arcam Solo or The Primare,whilst there seems to be a fair few reviews on the Arcam which seem to rate it highly there does not seem to be much buzz regarding the primare unit.

As it's more powerfull and comming from a higher regarded manufacturer ( or so belive) this may be the prefered choice.Can anyone comment on these two options as I don't want to be a muppet and recomend a donkey.

We will have an oportunity to demo an Arcam but we may have to buy the Primare blind as I dont think there is a dealer in the midlands for primare with demo facilities.

Of course if there are any other one box options please let me know.

Thanks

Keith

phil t

Prominent Member
Firstly, I’ve heard neither. If they both have their “family” sounds, then they both sound very different to each other. A quick look at the Primare web site would seem to indicate two dealers in the Midlands, but the list may not be up to date.

:)

JonnyBingham

Established Member
what hi-fi put these against each other and said the Solo was a better proposition for most types of music. I think they liked the primare for purely speech (which seems to be an under-utilisation of the players to me!)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom